Pakistan does a U-turn, says no change in Siachen policyApril 19th, 2012 - 6:44 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 19 (IANS) A day after Pakistan army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani said his country favoured talks with India to demilitarize Siachen, the world’s highest battleground, Islamabad Thursday said there was no change in its stance on the disputed glacier.
Foreign Office spokesperson Moazzam Ali Khan said here that Pakistan has made no change in its stance on the Siachen glacier.
“It is in our mutual interest that we address all the issues in a meaningful and result-oriented manner,” Geo News quoted Khan as saying.
Referring to the April 8 meeting between President Asif Ali Zardari and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi‚ the spokesperson said the two leaders underlined the importance of a pragmatic and practical solution of all outstanding issues.
He said the next Pakistan-India Defence Secretary-level talks will be held in Pakistan and the date for the meeting was being finalised.
Pakistan Thursday said the Siachen glacier was part of the dialogue process with India.
General Kayani said Wednesday that his country favoured talks with India to demilitarize the Siachen glacier.
“Peaceful coexistence between the two neighbours is very important so that everybody can concentrate on the well-being of the people,” he said.
After visiting the Gayari army base that was hit by a massive avalanche April 7 entombing nearly 140 soldiers, the army chief said Pakistan was open to talks with India to demilitarize Siachen.
“Both countries should sit together to resolve all the issues including Siachen,” Kayani said.
- India has toughened its Siachen stand: Kayani - May 04, 2012
- Pakistan must not leave Siachen unilaterally: Imran Khan - Apr 23, 2012
- Pakistan favours demilitarization of Siachen: Kayani - Apr 19, 2012
- Pakistan, India to talk Siachen on June 11, 12 - May 11, 2012
- Pakistan, India hold talks on Siachen (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- India must take 'bold initiative' on Siachen: Khar - May 08, 2012
- Must hold Siachen positions: Indian Army (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- India, Pakistan to continue talks on Siachen row (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Indian defence secretary in Pakistan - Jun 11, 2012
- Hope fading fast for Pakistan avalanche victims - Apr 09, 2012
- Kayani monitors Siachen rescue operations - Apr 08, 2012
- Pakistan, India open talks on Siachen - Jun 11, 2012
- India, Pakistan gain nothing from Siachen: Pakistan minister - Jun 03, 2012
- India, Pakistan talks on Siachen end - Jun 12, 2012
- Siachen avalanche: Pakistan welcomes India's offer - Apr 09, 2012
Tags: ali khan, army base, army chief, ashfaq, asif ali zardari, chief general, geo news, india general, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, kayani, manmohan singh, massive avalanche, pakistan army, pakistan india, parvez, peaceful coexistence, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, siachen glacier