Pakistan detected US planes near border before Osama raidMay 9th, 2011 - 1:04 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 9 (IANS) The Pakistan Air Force radars had detected six US aicraft flying close to the Afghanistan border before the US helicopters carrying commandos sneaked into the country to kill Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, a media report said Monday.
The News International cited an initial probe report as saying that the air force radars at Peshawar and Risalpur were functioning normally May 2, the day when heavily armed US Navy SEALs stormed Osama’s Abbottabad mansion and killed him.
The US commandos flew into Abbottabad in stealth helicopters, one of which they had to blow up after it developed a snag.
The probe report said the movement of half-a-dozen aircraft was noticed near the Jalalabad border at 11 p.m.
A US AWACS and five F-18 jets of the US “flew near the Pakistani border, but did not cross into the airspace of Pakistan”, said the report.
A special investigation committee has been formed to look into the violation of its airspace by US helicopters which quietly entered the country and left after killing Osama.
The investigators will see how the forces were not aware about the presence of foreign helicopters.
The Committee will also try to find out whether the US aircraft, detected by the radars, were meant to divert the attention of Pakistani forces.
Headed by a group captain, the team has begun thoroughly checking the record of radars and questioning officials who were on duty at the time when the US helicopters came in.
“More such committees will be formed to unveil the facts about the Abbottabad operation,” The News International quoted a source as saying.
- New stealth drones flew into Pakistan to see Osama house - May 18, 2011
- Osama probe panel visits Pakistan Air Force headquarters - Sep 11, 2011
- Pakistan scrambled jet to intercept Indian chopper - Oct 24, 2011
- Pakistan military didn't interact with US for two days - May 11, 2011
- Osama probe panel retraces US choppers' route - Sep 14, 2011
- Probe how US choppers flew undetected: Pakistani daily - May 09, 2011
- US, Pakistan to take on Islamists jointly (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Pakistan to set up panel to probe Abbottabad incident - May 30, 2011
- Pakistan was not consulted on Osama raid: Salman Bashir - May 05, 2011
- Apologise for security lapse on Osama: MQM chief - May 04, 2011
- Deep shame over Osama's killing in Pakistan, says daily - May 04, 2011
- ISI now claims it helped US locate Osama - Apr 28, 2012
- Al Qaeda determined to make 'new history': report - Apr 30, 2012
- Osama raid stealth chopper secrets may reach China: Report - May 06, 2011
- Osama's Pakistan hideout razed - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: abbottabad, airspace, al qaeda, awacs, commandos, group captain, half a dozen, initial probe, investigation committee, jalalabad, jets, news international, osama bin laden, pakistan air force, pakistani border, peshawar, qaeda leader, radars, snag, stealth helicopters