Pakistan cuts short Olympic torch route amid security fearsApril 14th, 2008 - 9:31 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, April 14 (DPA) Pakistan has reduced the length of the route of the Olympic torch relay owing to security concerns, officials said Monday. Pakistan Olympics Association President Syed Arif Hassan said the torch was originally scheduled to travel a distance of five and a half kilometre on capital Islamabad’s avenues, but now the relay will be held inside a sports complex. Hundreds of security personnel will guard the venue.
Major cities of Pakistan have been in the grip of deadly attacks, generally carried out by pro-Taliban militants and their supporters, for the government’s proactive role in US-led fight against terrorism.
The torch will arrive in Islamabad late Tuesday evening from Muscat but the relay will be held the next day, Wednesday.
“The torch is on its journey of harmony and we share the dreams and the message that the torch conveys to the whole world,” Hassan told reporters in Islamabad.
Pakistan Olympics Association was not expecting any demonstrations on the arrival of the flame, similar to those that have occurred in London, Paris and San Francisco.
President Pervez Musharraf is to launch the torch relay in Islamabad.
- Olympic flame arrives in Britain - May 19, 2012
- Punjab right place to start QBR's Indian leg: Kalmadi - Jun 24, 2010
- Queen's Baton Relay reaches Shimla - Jul 05, 2010
- Elaborate security arrangements at Amritsar and Attari - Jun 24, 2010
- Queen's Baton for Commonwealth Games to enter India via Wagah border - Jun 23, 2010
- Olympic torch arrives in Pakistan amid tight security - Apr 16, 2008
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012
- Queen's Baton Relay enters Uttarakhand from Himachal - Jul 06, 2010
- Queen's baton to enter Himachal Sunday - Jul 03, 2010
- Queen's baton to reach Chandigarh by road - Jul 01, 2010
- Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in Athens - Dec 18, 2011
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Queen's baton reaches Himachal - Jul 04, 2010
- Queen's Baton Relay comes knocking at Wagah June 25 - Jun 22, 2010
- Queen's baton arrives in Shillong (With Image) - Jul 22, 2010