Pakistan committed to constructive ties with India: GilaniJanuary 19th, 2012 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 19 (IANS) Pakistan is committed to a constructive, sustained and result-oriented process of engagement with India, said Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani Wednesday.
Islamabad wants a just, peaceful and negotiated settlement of the Kashmir issue, said Gilani while meeting a visiting Indian parliamentary delegation.
Referring to his visit to India’s Mohali town where he watched a cricket match between Pakistan and India at the invitation of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Gilani said he met Congress president Sonia Gandhi and top Indian leadership, reported the News International.
He went on to say that in the context of Pakistani politics, he was a man of crisis.
The prime minister said peace can be achieved by developing understanding and parliamentarians can play a key role in facilitating the dialogue process.
The 15-member multi-party Indian delegation arrived in Islamabad Monday as part of a dialogue initiative between parliamentarians of the two countries.
The MPs from both sides agreed they had a major role to play in influencing their respective governments to normalise relations, the Online news agency reported.
Two rounds of dialogues were earlier held in January 2011 in Islamabad and in August 2011 in New Delhi.
The Indian delegation included Yashwant Sinha, Shatrughan Sinha and Syed Shahnawaz Hussain (Bharatiya Janata Party), Baijayant Jay Panda, (Biju Janata Dal), Deepender Hooda, Hamdullah Sayeed and Mani Shankar Aiyar (Congress) and Rajniti Prasad (Rashtriya Janata Dal).
- Indian parliamentarians meet Gilani, Khar (With Images) - Jan 19, 2012
- 15 Indian MPs reach Pakistan for talks - Jan 16, 2012
- India, Pakistan MPs hold talks on improving trade - Jan 17, 2012
- India, Pakistan parliamentarians to hold dialogue next week - Aug 13, 2011
- Indian, Pakistani parliamentarians push for easing visa regime - Aug 19, 2011
- India, Pakistan MPs brainstorm on liberal visas, media role - Aug 23, 2012
- India, Pakistan MPs moot new CBMs; discuss Assam, SMSs (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Only Shatrughan, Shahnawaz secular in BJP: Lalu - Jul 05, 2012
- Ahead of Krishna visit, India, Pakistan MPs to talk peace, trade - Aug 22, 2012
- 'Pakistani, Indian MPs one on peace talks' - Aug 21, 2011
- Manmohan a man of peace: Gilani (With Images) - Feb 22, 2012
- Indian MPs go to Yale to learn leadership issues - Jun 28, 2012
- BJP slams PM's Gilani statement, terms meeting disastrous - Nov 10, 2011
- Peaceful Afghanistan critical for Pakistan: Gilani - Feb 01, 2012
- Talks conveyed 'seriousness of purpose': Pakistan foreign minister - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, congress president sonia gandhi, cricket match between pakistan and india, gilani, hooda, indian delegation, indian leadership, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, kashmir issue, mani shankar aiyar, manmohan singh, mohali, pakistani politics, parliamentary delegation, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, shahnawaz, shatrughan, shatrughan sinha