Pakistan closes ISI political wingNovember 27th, 2008 - 6:41 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Nov 27 (IANS) Pakistan has closed the political wing of the Inter Services Intelligence (ISI), Online news agency reported Thursday.“The political wing of ISI has been closed,” a statement issued by Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani’s office said late Wednesday night.
The prime minister hoped the move “would further improve the effectiveness of ISI as one of the premier institutions of the national security apparatus of the country”, said the statement.
Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi Sunday confirmed media reports that the political wing of the ISI had been disbanded, describing it as a positive development.
A number of retired ISI officials have admitted in recent media interviews that the agency had a role in influencing several elections in recent years, Online said.
- ISI has political wing, admits minister - Mar 13, 2012
- Gilani sacks defence secretary, takes on army (Intro Night Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Gilani dismisses Pakistani defence secretary (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Gilani sacks Defence Secretary, takes on army (Night Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Zardari leaves a tense Pakistan for a day in Dubai (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Kayani calls commanders' meet after defence secretary's sack - Jan 11, 2012
- Pakistan daily wants ISI reined in - Mar 20, 2012
- Joint chiefs of staff committee chairman calls on Zardari - Jan 16, 2012
- ISI operations have full support of Pak Govt: Gilani - Apr 27, 2011
- Gilani rejects trust vote as Zardari returns home (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Gilani discusses Pakistan-US ties with politicians - Sep 25, 2011
- Gilani demands concret evidence to nail ISI - Apr 26, 2011
- Gilani names Zaheerul Islam as new ISI chief - Mar 10, 2012
- All parties meet shows national unity: Pakistani leaders - Sep 30, 2011
- Pakistan to set its agenda Wednesday for talks with India - Feb 09, 2010