Pakistan appoints Abdul Qadir as new chief selectorNovember 20th, 2008 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Nov 20 (IANS) Legendary leg-spinner Abdul Qadir was Thursday appointed the new chief selector of Pakistan.Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ijaz Butt said the former Test player has been chosen to head the new national selection committee, whose first task would be to pick a strong and balanced squad for the important home series against India in Jan-Feb next year.
“We have appointed Abdul Qadir as the new chief selector and hope that he would do a great job,” said Butt, a former Pakistan Test opener.
Butt said the PCB will soon appoint two former Test cricketers as members of the selection committee. It is expected that Saleem Jaffer, who was heading the interim selection committee, will be retained while former Pakistan Test opener Shoaib Mohammad will be included in the committee.
Qadir, a veteran of 67 Tests with 236 wickets and 132 scalps from 104 one-day internationals, said: “It is a big honour and task for me and the aim of the selectors should be to pick the best national side and also give exposure to new talent.”
Qadir, 53, said he would work in close contact with the team management and will try his best to select a strong and winning combination for the home series against India. Pakistan will host India for three Tests, five One-day Internationals and a Twenty20 International.
- Former Pak cricketers lash out at team selection - May 04, 2011
- PCB summons Mohsin after he threatens to quit (Lead) - May 04, 2011
- Qasim turns down Butt's request to continue stint as chief selector - Feb 02, 2010
- Abdul Qadir resigned due to "lack of independence", dispute over Akhtar's selection - Dec 29, 2010
- Pakistan cricket chief selector threatens to resign - May 04, 2011
- I will instill self-belief in Pakistan team: Coach Mohsin - Oct 04, 2011
- Whatmore to coach Pakistan's cricket team - Mar 03, 2012
- New PCB chief selector Abdul Qadir vows to make sweeping changes in selection - Nov 21, 2008
- PCB approaches ICC ahead of selecting preliminary World Cup squad - Jan 02, 2011
- PCB disbands national selection committees - Jun 30, 2009
- Pakistan appoints new bowling coach - Aug 25, 2012
- Qadir criticizes selection committee for dropping Razzaq, Butt - Aug 27, 2009
- Kaneria wants justice from PCB - May 04, 2011
- Younis returns to Pakistan team for South Africa series - Oct 20, 2010
- Former Pakistan players hail selection of Younis, Malik - May 26, 2010