Paid news worries poll panelSeptember 22nd, 2011 - 12:10 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 21 (IANS) Chief Election Commissioner S.Y. Quraishi Wednesday said the poll panel is concerned about “paid news” and “grappling with the menace”.
“Paid news is a complex menace for elections,” said Quraishi, adding “it is a corrupt nexus between political parties, candidates and media houses as it hoodwinks the expenditure rules and causes undue influence on electors”.
“We came out with drastic measures and put in place monitoring mechanism to check this menace,” he said.
According to the Press Council of India, “any news or analysis appearing in any media (print and electronic) for a price in cash or kind as consideration” is paid news.
- CEC Quraishi expresses concern over paid news in elections - Jan 24, 2011
- Left fears 'Trinamool-Maoist' violence during Bengal polls - Apr 13, 2011
- Paid news punishment should be two years jail: former CEC - Aug 24, 2012
- Paid news phenomenon bothersome: Poll panel head - Aug 23, 2011
- Election Commission to discuss paid news at all-party meet today - Oct 04, 2010
- EC meets political parties to explain new instructions for forthcoming elections - Mar 09, 2011
- Brokering News: Documentary highlights the dark side of news - Nov 19, 2011
- Punjab voters being lured with drugs: Poll panel - Dec 28, 2011
- Speed up poll reforms, Quraishi urges PM - Apr 13, 2012
- Paid news, opinion polls cause concern - Feb 04, 2011
- Will push for electoral reforms, says Sampath - Jun 11, 2012
- 'Cant do anything about paid news' - Sep 20, 2011
- Paid news an electoral malpractice: Poll panel - Sep 15, 2011
- Paid news very disturbing trend, says election commissioner - Jan 20, 2010
- Electoral reforms key to good governance: EC chief - Apr 17, 2012