Padamsee’s painting sells for Rs.2.52 cr at Osian’s auction (With Images)June 24th, 2010 - 10:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 24 (IANS) The trend of resurgence in the art auction market continued with a composition by Akbar Padamsee, “Nude”, notching a winning bid of Rs.2.52 crore, at the Mumbai-based art house Osian’s 10th anniversary auction.
Rameshwar Broota’s “Queue” commanded Rs.1.26 crore while F.N. Souza’s “Italian Landscape” sold for Rs.1.74 crore. The auction of 101 rare art works sold for Rs.27.99 crore.
Confirming that the Indian art market was looking up after a period of slow growth, Neville Tuli, chairman of Osian’s said: “The trends do indicate a strong consolidation of the art market, but the sense of revival will be clearly evident in the September auctions, especially after the impact of current larger global uncertainties are tackled directly.”
Tuli added: “At present many individuals were placing their surplus funds in the high quality art work as a hedge in the knowledge that they have a long-term holding capacity as investors even if they do not emerge as full-fledged collectors.”
“This is a positive development as the patience to hold and learn has increased and that will in turn lead to a greater number of genuine art lovers and collectors,” Tuli said.
Works of Bengal masters gained a edge in prices over the rest of the lots with an untitled cubist composition by Gaganendranath Tagore selling for Rs.25.2 lakh and the “Chaitanya” series Rs.23.4 lakh.
Abanindranath Tagore’s “Girl Seated on the Rocks” sold for Rs.22.2 lakh while “Rest” fetched Rs.16.8 lakh. Both of these works are “national art treasures” under the government of India’s stipulation and hence non-exportable.
A new price benchmark was established by one of the unsung masters of Bengal school, Kshitindranath Majumdar with his “Radha & Lalita” establishing a new high at Rs.37.2 lakh.
- Market for antiquities still strong in India: Neville Tuli (With Images) - Jan 30, 2012
- Husain, Souza highlights of OSIAN's auction - Jun 18, 2010
- Husain fetches Rs.1.45 crore at art auction - Nov 06, 2011
- Tyeb Mehta work sells for $2.1 mn at Christie's South Asian auction - Jun 12, 2012
- Art auction market witnessing new generation of buyers (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Aamir now owns Shammi Kapoor's jacket - Aug 01, 2012
- Sabavala sets price record at Saffronart art summer sale - Jun 21, 2010
- Indian art market has consolidated since 2010: Neville Tuli - Jun 10, 2010
- Tyeb Mehta still rules art auctions - Sep 25, 2011
- Osian back with second mega auction of movie art - Jul 11, 2012
- Raza, Husain, Souza top grossers in online art auction - Sep 14, 2010
- Chitravali: Compiling Tagore's art on 150th birth anniversary - Feb 06, 2011
- More Tagore works should be translated in Hindi: Sharmila Tagore - Jul 17, 2010
- Indian, world cinema set new trends at Osian's film fest (Review) - Aug 06, 2012
- Historic Tipu Sultan painting on sale by Osian's (With Image) - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: 10th anniversary, art auction, art lovers, art treasures, auction market, crore, cubist composition, genuine art, government of india, indian art market, italian landscape, lakh, majumdar, osian, padamsee, quality art work, rare art, rs 2, series rs, surplus funds