Pacheco’s aide was convicted for cheque bouncingJune 12th, 2010 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 12 (IANS) Controversial former Goa tourism minister Mickky Pacheco’s aide Lyndon Monteiro was appointed a functionary of the Goa tourism department despite being arrested and sentenced in a cheque bouncing case, a lawyer-activist alleged Saturday.
Aires Rodrigues said that Lyndon, an officer on special duty (OSD) in the tourism ministry, was appointed vice chairman of the Goa Tourism Development Corp (GTDC) in violation of norms.
Addressing a press conference here, Rodrigues said that Lyndon was arrested and sentenced to 15 months imprisonment in a cheque bouncing case in 2002.
This, he said, made his appointment as a director and vice chairman of the GTDC illegal and in violation of the Companies Act.
“Section 274(1)(d) of the Companies Act mandates that a person shall not be appointed director of a company, if he has been convicted by a court of any offence involving moral turpitude and sentenced in respect thereof to imprisonment,” Aires said.
The lawyer-activist also demanded that according to the provisions of the Companies Act, Lyndon should be made to cough up salary credited to him as an illegally appointed GTDC functionary.
Political appointments as directors or top functionaries of government-run corporations is common practice in Goa.
Meanwhile, the Crime Branch is questioning Viola Pacheco, the second wife of the former tourism minister, summoned in connection with 28-year-old Nadia Torrado’s death by poisoning.
Nadia, an alleged lover of the former tourism minister, allegedly consumed rat poison May 15 and died at a Chennai hospital 15 days later.
- Goa court rejects ministerial aide's anticipatory bail plea - Jun 09, 2010
- Nadia death case: Former Goa minister Pacheco gets bail - Jul 26, 2010
- Nadia death case: Supreme Court rejects Goa ex-minister Pacheco's bail plea - Jul 01, 2010
- Ex Goa minister Pacheco applies for bail before Supreme Court - Jun 30, 2010
- Former Goa minister denied anticipatory bail - Jul 01, 2010
- Pacheco aide alleges witch-hunt on to shield politician's son - Jun 11, 2010
- Former Goa tourism minister, aide denied anticipatory bail - Jun 21, 2010
- Goa court rejects Pacheco's bail plea in Nadia death case - Jul 07, 2010
- Nadia death case: Goa Police summon Pacheco's wife - Jun 12, 2010
- Torrado death case: Pacheco surrenders before Margao court - Jul 03, 2010
- Pacheco sent to two days judicial custody (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2010
- Pacheco surrenders in court (Lead) - Jul 03, 2010
- Pacheco arrested over lover's death - Jul 08, 2010
- Police free to arrest Pacheco: Court - Jul 07, 2010
- Pacheco to surrender Saturday: Lawyer - Jul 02, 2010
Tags: 15 months, act section, aires rodrigues, companies act, crime branch, death by poisoning, goa tourism, gtdc, imprisonment, moral turpitude, osd, pacheco, political appointments, rat poison, second wife, tourism department, tourism development, tourism minister, tourism ministry, vice chairman