Owaisi seeks action against lax cops for riotsApril 12th, 2012 - 12:32 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, April 11 (IANS) Voicing its concern over increasing incidents of communal violence in Andhra Pradesh, Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM), a key ally of the ruling Congress, Wednesday put the government on notice over taking action against lax policemen.
MIM chief and MP from Hyderabad Asaduddin Owaisi met Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy and asked him to take action against the police officers for their inaction in Madannapet and Saeedabad areas of old Hyderabad, which led to the outbreak of communal violence Sunday.
Owaisi, who led a delegation of MIM legislators, also sought action against Congress legislator Jaggareddy for his involvement in the recent communal violence in Sangareddy town of Medak district.
“We exercised a lot of restraint. But I can’t restrain myself if these incidents continue. The government will have to pay a political price,” he told reporters after meeting the chief minister.
Owaisi voiced his concern over desecration of places of worship and alleged that there was a “deliberate attempt” and a “conspiracy” to target the houses and places of worship of the minority community.
The MIM chief also demanded that the unnecessary arrests of Muslim men and the harassment by police should be stopped.
He said ever since the 2007 blasts in the historic Mecca Masjid triggered by suspected right-wing Hindu forces, a deliberate attempt was being made to polarise the society.
He also referred to the series of attacks on Muslim youth four months ago.
The MP asked the chief minister to create confidence among people by taking firm action against the right-wing Hindu groups.
- MIM leader Owaisi injured in attack, Hyderabad tense (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Six Hindu Vahini activists arrested in Hyderabad - Nov 14, 2011
- MIM not to pursue politics of murder, says Asaduddin Owaisi - May 22, 2011
- MIM chief urges Muslims to help Assam riots victims - Aug 18, 2012
- MIM chief Owaisi meets Jagan in jail - Jun 19, 2012
- Curfew imposed in old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 08, 2012
- After assassination attempt, MIM got strengthened: Asaduddin Owaisi (Interview) - May 18, 2011
- MIM leader Akbar Owaisi attacked, Hyderabad tense (Night Lead) - May 01, 2011
- MIM legislator Owaisi discharged from hospital - May 20, 2011
- Pakistani scholar clarifies remarks on Gujarat (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- MIM leader Akbar Owaisi injured in attack; Hyderabad tense (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Pakistani scholar clarifies remarks on Gujarat riots - Mar 03, 2012
- MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi injured in firing (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Compensation for Muslim youths tortured in blast case - Jan 06, 2012
- Modi must spend rest of his life in jail: Owaisi - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: blasts, chief minister, communal violence, deliberate attempt, desecration, four months, hindu groups, inaction, kiran kumar, legislator, mecca, minority community, muslim men, muslim youth, outbreak, places of worship, police officers, policemen, right wing, riots