Over three mn Mexican teens have posted racy photos on WebMarch 6th, 2012 - 10:56 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, March 6 (IANS/EFE) Around 3.6 million Mexican teenagers say they have posted photos of themselves in “provocative poses” on the Internet, a data-protection agency said.
And more than 40 percent of those young people say they do not consider it dangerous to go out on a date with someone they met online, Commissioner Angel Trinidad Zaldivar said.
Trinidad said that “a new culture of personal data protection” must be pushed in Mexico, a statement said.
In Mexico, where e-commerce represents some 15 percent of total buying and selling, there are some 40 million regular Internet users, a quarter of them teens.
Of those, 45 percent have their computer in their room and 30 percent post personal data such as their address, telephone number, school name and family photos on the social networks, the agency said.
Mexico has a federal law protecting personal data but continues to face great challenges in this area, Trinidad said.
“Every day we leave a large trace of personal information; we consult Internet pages, we send e-mails, we make purchases with a credit card, calls from our cell phone and thanks to the flow of information big companies obtain an average of 2,500 details on each of us each month,” he said.
In Mexico, the most frequent crimes that occur online are identity theft, fraud, extortion, child pornography and piracy, according to the Mexican Internet Association.
- Less than one-third of Mexicans have internet access - May 19, 2011
- `Millions of Mexicans ready to cheat on spouses' - Dec 15, 2011
- Google offers virtual visits to Mexican archaeological sites - Aug 18, 2012
- Mexico a huge producer of child porn: Official - Jan 26, 2012
- Mexican president has 100/000 followers on Twitter - Sep 08, 2010
- Brazil, Mexico settle dispute over auto exports - Mar 17, 2012
- Over 100 Mexican immigration agency employees sacked - Oct 16, 2011
- Brazil wants Mexico to cap vehicle exports - Mar 11, 2012
- Hackers target Mexican government websites - Sep 17, 2011
- Actress joins fight against people trafficking - Aug 02, 2012
- Mexico's imports of Chinese-made shoes surge - Mar 16, 2012
- Over 190 endangered animals seized in Mexico - Jul 07, 2010
- Mexican auto sector willing to accept quotas - Mar 15, 2012
- E-commerce to make even bigger gains - Mar 28, 2012
- Carlos Slim's firm to acquire US company - May 11, 2012
Tags: 6 million, address telephone, child pornography, crimes, data protection agency, efe, extortion, family photos, internet association, internet users, mexican internet, mexican teens, mexico city, personal data protection, piracy, racy photos, social networks, telephone number, web mexico, zaldivar