Over three million Somalis need emergency food aid: reportAugust 27th, 2008 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi, Aug 27 (Xinhua) A humanitarian crisis is unfolding in Somalia with the number of people needing food aid in the lawless nation rising to more than 3.2 million this year, a UN funded report said Wednesday.”The scale, magnitude and speed at which the crisis is deteriorating are alarming and profound,” the Food Security Analysis Unit (FSAU) said.
The FSAU called the situation in the Horn of Africa nation one of the worst in the world in recent days.
“Within the first six months of this year, the number of people requiring emergency livelihood and humanitarian support increased 77 percent, from 1.83 million to 3.25 million, affecting 43 percent of the entire population of the country,” it said.
The report said the crisis is compounded by failed rains, rising food prices, inflation, and the political chaos.
“The level of human suffering and deprivation is shocking. One in six children under the age of five is acutely malnourished, and the number is continuing to increase,” it said.
- Drought in Horn of Africa affects 1.8mn children: UN - Jun 02, 2011
- Drought threatens 2 mn kids in Horn of Africa: UN - Jul 09, 2011
- UN declares famine in two southern regions of Somalia - Jul 20, 2011
- UN warns famine could spread in Somalia without international aid - Aug 02, 2011
- Unicef seeks help for 1.25 mn Somalian kids - Jul 29, 2011
- UAE medical team reaches out to famine victims - Aug 20, 2011
- 750,000 people may die in East African famine: UN - Sep 07, 2011
- UN declares end of famine in Somalia - Feb 04, 2012
- UN seeks $4 bn aid fund - Jul 23, 2011
- Floods to magnify food insecurity: Pakistan daily - Sep 20, 2011
- India pledges $8 mn to famine-stricken Horn of Africa - Sep 14, 2011
- Italy to send emergency aid to Horn of Africa - Aug 19, 2011
- UN chief briefs UAE on Somalia crisis - Jul 29, 2011
- Unicef concerned over escalating conflict in Somalia - Nov 16, 2011
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt donate money to feed children in Somalia - Oct 10, 2011