Over three dozen feared dead as boat capsizes in BiharSeptember 11th, 2008 - 2:46 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 11 (IANS) Over three dozen people, mostly women and children, are feared drowned after an overloaded boat capsized in flood-hit Bihar Thursday, an official said.The boat with a capacity of 25 persons was carrying over 40 people in Sheikhpura district about 125 km from here when it overturned. “Only two boatmen managed to swim and survived,” an official of the district administration, requesting anonymity, said.
The boat carrying villagers was on its way to immerse idols of Hindu God Shiva and Goddess Parvati to mark a local Karma festival. The district administration had then rushed a rescue team to the spot where the boat capsized. So far only one body has been recovered.
Taking the report seriously, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has announced compensation of Rs.150,000 each to the kin of victims. “The announcement of compensation by Nitish Kumar made it clear that many are feared dead,” the official added.
- Five killed in Bihar boat capsize (Lead) - Jul 02, 2010
- Eleven killed, over 25 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Bihar boat capsize toll rises to 21 - Sep 11, 2012
- 13 die as boat capsizes (Lead) - Dec 26, 2010
- 19 Durga Puja revellers drown in Bihar boat accidents (Second Lead) - Sep 29, 2009
- 45 feared dead in Bihar boat capsize - Jul 02, 2010
- Ballia boat accidents expose negligence of authorities - Jul 02, 2010
- Five killed, 10 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Four killed, 10 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar - Aug 10, 2012
- 7 child labourers drown in Rajasthan - Apr 10, 2012
- Six killed, 20 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar - Sep 10, 2012
- One dead, 17 missing in Bihar boat mishap - Sep 11, 2008
- 41 killed in Uttar Pradesh accident - Aug 22, 2011
- 10 die as boat capsizes - Dec 26, 2010
- 30 Durga Puja revellers drown as boats capsize in Bihar (Third Lead) - Sep 29, 2009