Over one million rural schools to have toiletsMarch 10th, 2008 - 10:36 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 10 (IANS) Over one million toilets will be constructed in the rural schools in the country’s 582 districts, Chandra Shekhar Sahu, minister of state of rural development, told Lok Sabha Monday. “The government has approved 582 proposals from 29 states for constructing 1.13 million units in rural schools, out of which 518,443 units have already been constructed,” the minister said.
According to him, Uttar Pradesh has so far constructed the highest number of toilets (80,668), followed by Andhra Pradesh (64,600), Maharashtra (579,88), and Madhya Pradesh (44,407).
The minister said construction of toilets for boys and girls in the rural schools was part of the government’s Total Sanitation Campaign (TSC) during the 11th Five-Year Plan (2007-12).
The government’s TSC is aimed at providing access to toilets for all rural households, and is currently implementing in 582 districts.
The states where less than 1,000 toilets were constructed for the schools under the TSC scheme include Goa (101), Manipur (238), Meghalaya (589), Nagaland (321), and Punjab (471).
- Total sanitation campaign being seen as 'token', says Ramesh - Feb 17, 2012
- Women demanding mobile phones but not toilets, says Ramesh (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Haryana claims 80 percent success in checking defecation in open - Sep 22, 2010
- Cabinet hikes toilets' cost in sanitation campaign - Jun 25, 2010
- 'MGNREGA 2.0' with 30 new works launched - May 08, 2012
- 57 million more toilets needed to end manual scavenging - Mar 11, 2010
- Arunachal gets grant for sanitation - Apr 08, 2010
- Be sensitive to women's requirements: Jairam Ramesh - Apr 08, 2012
- Assam, Mizoram, West Bengal get grant for rural sanitation - Apr 19, 2010
- New ministry to improve access to drinking water, sanitation (Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Bihar, Jharkhand, Orissa lag behind in providing toilet facilities in rural households - Jul 03, 2009
- UP bride runs away for lack of proper toilet - May 11, 2012
- Funds for building toilets to be hiked: Jairam - Apr 25, 2012
- How will Bihar fight polio without toilets? - Dec 20, 2009
- Himachal to be free of open defecation by next month - Jul 24, 2011