Over hundred thousand perform Amarnath Yatra in seven daysJuly 5th, 2011 - 1:01 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 5 (IANS) With 12,000 pilgrims being allowed to move towards the Amarnath cave shrine in Jammu and Kashmir Tuesday morning, more than 100,000 people have performed the pilgrimage in seven days, an official said.
“More than one lakh yatris have performed the yatra during the last seven days. Today, over 6,000 pilgrims moved towards the cave shrine from the north Kashmir Baltal base camp while an equal number was allowed to move from the south Kashmir Pahalgam base camp,” said a government official here.
“The weather has improved along both the yatra treks and this will facilitate clearing of the stranded pilgrims at the base camps,” he said.
This year’s pilgrimage to the 13,500 ft high cave shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva has been posing serious challenges of management and regulation to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB).
“The huge rush of unregistered devotees has become a major challenge for us. It has now been decided to give on-the-spot registration to the pilgrims who are arriving here without any prior information,” said an SASB official at Baltal.
The pilgrimage, which began June 29, resumed Monday after being halted for a day due to bad weather.
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- 18,000 pilgrims proceed towards Amarnath cave shrine - Jun 30, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 20,000 head for shrine (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra interrupted due to bad weather - Jul 22, 2010
- All set for Amarnath pilgrimage from June 29 - Jun 25, 2011
- Snow hits Amarnath Yatra preparations in Kashmir - Jun 14, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
Tags: amarnath cave, bad weather, base camps, challenges of management, devotees, government official, hundred thousand, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, lord shiva, north kashmir, pilgrimage, pilgrims, seven days, shri, shrine board, south kashmir, treks, tuesday morning, yatra