Over half a million passport applications pendingSeptember 7th, 2011 - 10:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 7 (IANS) The government Wednesday admitted that over half a million passport applications are pending with various regional offices. It attributed the delay to a host of reasons, including a critical manpower crunch.
The non-receipt of police verification report (PVR) within the stipulated time period of 21 days topped the list of reasons for the delay in issuing passports, Minister of State for External Affairs E. Ahamed said in a written reply in the Lok Sabha.
Totally, 389,426 passport applications are pending with various Regional Passport Offices (RPOs) due to the non-receipt of PVRs and 113,728 applications are pending due to adverse or incomplete PVRs.
He also cited reasons like the receipt of incomplete police reports due to the submission of incomplete information by the applicants and a shortage of staff in the Central Passport Organisation (CPO) for the huge backlog of pending applications.
Ahamed informed the house of a host of initiatives taken by the government to speed up passport applications, including the launch of Passport Seva Project and the holding of passport adalats every month to quickly dispose off pending applications.
A manpower crunch is a major reason for mushrooming pending applications, he said. There are over 500 vacancies in the CPO.
- Passport offices to work on weekend - Jun 28, 2012
- Monthly passport courts soon, promises Krishna - Jan 07, 2011
- Next passport adalat March 5 - Feb 28, 2011
- Krishna calls for fast-tracking passport delivery - Nov 29, 2011
- Second passport adalat Feb 5 - Feb 02, 2011
- A passport in three days? New project to roll out soon - Jun 07, 2011
- Passport offices to remain open this weekend - Jun 22, 2012
- Weekend passport melas in 7 cities (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Passport Seva Kendra opens in Guwahati - Apr 17, 2012
- Police checks delay new passports in Karnataka - Sep 14, 2011
- Appointments for passport services in Karnataka hastened - Sep 14, 2011
- 16 rural passport centres proposed - Aug 21, 2012
- Passport offices manpower increase mooted, says official - Jun 23, 2012
- Krishna launches Passport Seva Project - May 28, 2010
- Pilot passport project to start in Bangalore Friday - May 26, 2010
Tags: ahamed, backlog, cpo, crunch, external affairs, half a million, launch, Lok Sabha, manpower, minister of state, New Delhi, passport applications, passports, pvr, pvrs, receipt, regional offices, regional passport offices, time period, verification report