‘Over 95 lakh Muslim students benefited through scholarships’August 23rd, 2012 - 10:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 23 (IANS) More than 95 lakh Muslim children benefitted under the government’s pre-matric scholarship scheme till the end of March this year, the government said Thursday.
Minister of State for Minority Affairs Vincent H. Pala gave the information in the Lok Sabha in response to a question.
The minister said, “More than 95 lakh Muslim children benefitted under the pre-matric scholarship scheme from inception of the scheme in 2008-09 till the end of the 11th Five Year Plan, i.e 31-03-2012″.
The allocation has been increased by 50 percent during the current year - “from Rs.600 crore in 2011-12 to Rs.900 crore in 2012-13 in order to cover more minority students under the scheme”.
In response to another question, the minister said that there was no proposal to increase the number of scholarship schemes for students of minority communities.
He said the working group on the 12th Five Year Plan constituted by the Planning Commission has recommended to make the scholarship schemes “demand driven in order to cover all eligible minority students”.
Students can apply online through the Online Scholarship Management System for merit-cum means based scholarship scheme.
- Budget: Minority girl students to get free cycles - Mar 16, 2012
- Education gets 24 percent hike (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Tribal students to benefit from new central scheme - Sep 06, 2012
- Education gets 24 percent hike in budget allocation - Feb 28, 2011
- Over 40,000 scholarships provided to minority community - Jul 13, 2012
- Special attention to needs of children: PM (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- India raises education, health spending (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Rs.1,300 crore spent on 'quality' education of SC students - Feb 25, 2010
- Focussed on welfare schemes for SC, ST, minorities: PM (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Mamata announces sops for Muslims - Jul 30, 2011
- Plan outlay for Minority Affairs ministry increased by 74 per cent - Jul 06, 2009
- President Patil inaugurates national festival of tribal dances - Mar 16, 2011
- India grants scholarships to Sri Lankan students - Jan 19, 2012
- Banks to disburse UP scholarships - Aug 13, 2012
- Andhra students intensify stir over cap on fee reimbursement - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: crore, inception, lakh, Lok Sabha, management system, minister of state, minority affairs, minority communities, minority students, muslim children, muslim students, New Delhi, pala, planning commission, proposal, scholarship management, scholarship scheme, scholarship schemes, scholarships, working group