Over 870 men, women tie the knot in Chhattisgarh mass marriageMarch 1st, 2009 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, March 1 (IANS) Over 870 men and women got married within a short period of three hours at an interior village of Maoist-hit Dantewada district in Chhattisgarh, an official said Sunday.
In a mass marriage ceremony, 874 men and women of various religions, including eight Christian and three Muslim pairs, entered into matrimony Saturday at the Balud village, about 400 km from here.
The “kanya daan” was performed by Dantewada district collector S.P. Sori and the legislator from the Dantewada assembly constituency Bheema Mandawi. “Kanya daan” is a ritual performed by the bride’s father at a Hindu wedding wherein the daughter is handed over to the bridegroom.
“It was a rare mass marriage ceremony in the troubled area. People were enthusiastic and turned up in large numbers to see Hindu, Christian and Muslim men and women tying the knot as per their religious customs all at one place,” Sori told IANS.
He said the government and private steel firm Essar Steel provided household items of daily use such as kitchen utensils, and LPG stove and cylinders worth Rs.5,000 to each couple.
The mass marriage was organised under the Chhattisgarh government’s mass marriage scheme funded by the women and child development department. The scheme is meant for families living below the poverty line.
- Cops loot Bastar tribals; their boss apologises, pays damages - Dec 30, 2010
- Apex court orders Soni Sori's medical checkup in Kolkata - Oct 20, 2011
- NHRC sends notice in Soni Sori case - Oct 11, 2011
- Suspected Maoist conduit arrested in Delhi - Oct 04, 2011
- Chhattisgarh teacher on hunger strike, alleges police harassment - Oct 12, 2011
- Apex court decision on Soni Sori's medical check Thursday - Oct 19, 2011
- Chhattisgarh conducting intelligence operations against Maoists - Jan 05, 2012
- Chhattisgarh to give cheap grams in Maoist-hit districts - May 29, 2011
- Suspected Maoist conduit's judicial custody extended (Lead) - Oct 05, 2011
- Change suspected Maoist conduit's jail: Apex court (Lead) - Dec 02, 2011
- Legislator's driver escapes with vehicle, rifle - Sep 13, 2011
- Come to Chhattisgarh for deals in food processing and IT: Chief minister (Interview) - Sep 04, 2011
- Mining mafia threatened me: Chhattisgarh legislator - May 12, 2012
- Chhattisgarh lawmaker's driver held with AK-47 in Orissa - Sep 15, 2011
- Soni Sori, Lingaram: Maoist conduits or police trap? - Dec 25, 2011