Over 60 killed in Lanka’s fierce fighting (Lead)May 9th, 2008 - 7:51 pm ICT by admin
By P. Karunakharan
Colombo, May 9 (IANS) At least 63 people, including 33 Tamil Tiger rebels, were killed and over 50 wounded when Sri Lankan government troops launched a fresh offensive into the rebel stronghold in northwestern Mannar district Friday. Military spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara said troops, backed by artillery and aerial bombardment, broke out from their forward defences and “forced into the LTTE stronghold during a multi-pronged offensive launched Friday morning”.
“At least 33 LTTE terrorists were killed and over 40 wounded in the heavy fighting in general area Alankulam, north of Giants Tank in Mannar,” Brig. Nanayakkara told IANS on phone.
Claiming that the military was able to wrest control of “the strategically important town of Adampan from the LTTE”, Brig. Nanayakkara said three soldiers were also killed while five were missing after the hours-long clashes.
“The supersonic fighter jets also carried out air sorties targeting an LTTE gathering in general area Parappakadanthan. An LTTE operation controlling room was also targeted in the air raid,” Nanayakkara said.
However, the pro-LTTE Tamilnet website, quoting LTTE sources, claimed that the guerrillas “had put up heavy resistance” against the advancing troops and thwarted their fresh bid to advance into the areas held by them.
“30 Sri Lanka Army (SLA) soldiers were killed, five dead bodies of SLA troops were recovered after heavy fighting at Karukaykulam Friday morning,” LTTE’s military spokesman Irasiah Ilanthirayan was quoted as saying.
The rebels did not divulge casualties on their side.
Brig. Nanayakkara rejected the LTTE claims of killing 30 government soldiers and reiterated that only three soldiers were killed and five missing after Friday’s clashes.
Independent verifications of the casualties is not possible as journalists are barred from visiting the battlefront.
- 120 Tigers, 25 soldiers die in Sri Lanka - Dec 16, 2008
- 31 die in Sri Lankan Army-LTTE clashes on SAARC summit eve - Aug 02, 2008
- Has LTTE executed its military spokesman? - Mar 13, 2009
- LTTE suffers heavy losses, troops encircle last rebel enclave - Feb 22, 2009
- Five displaced civilians killed in Sri Lanka shelling: LTTE - Aug 31, 2008
- Lanka says 147 killed as battle rages for key LTTE-held town - Nov 24, 2008
- Gaddafi brutalizes rebel forces near Tripoli, claims control of town - Mar 05, 2011
- Troops capture last LTTE landmass in Jaffna (Lead) - Jan 14, 2009
- Fierce fighting in Sri Lanka kills 67 combatants - Apr 23, 2008
- Sri Lankan military battle tank destroyed in north: LTTE - Apr 22, 2008
- Sri Lankan troops foil LTTE infiltration bid - Mar 05, 2009
- Sudan rebels claim killing 79 soldiers - Apr 21, 2012
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan attack - Jan 22, 2012
- Sudan rebels claim to have killed 130 soldiers - Feb 28, 2012
- NATO soldier killed in Afghanistan - Sep 03, 2012