Over 500,000 pray to ancestors in GayaSeptember 17th, 2009 - 11:25 am ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 17 (IANS) Over 500,000 Hindu devotees have come to Bihar’s Gaya town to perform the ‘pinda daan’ ritual for ancestors, officials said Thursday.
“Till date more than five lakh devotees have performed the pinda daan. It was more than what we expected in view of the drought in several states across India,” an official of the Gaya district administration told IANS.
The district authorities said they had estimated that 400,000 devotees would come to Gaya to perform pinda daan during pitrupaksh, a fortnight-long ancestor worship period. But the numbers of devotees have crossed 50,000 already.
“Two days are still to go to offer pinda daan during the pitrupaksh period,” an official said.
Special facilities as well as tight security arrangements have been made for the devotees.
Magadh Commissioner Sanjeev Sinha said: “This time gathering of devotees was more than last year, it was a positive sign”.
Pinda daan was also offered for the king of pop Michael Jackson in Gaya by Suresh Narayan, even though he never met the singer.
“On Sunday I offered pinda daan for the salvation of Michael Jackson as a tribute to him,” said Narayan.
Hindus believe offering pinda daan ensures salvation for the souls of their ancestors.
“The soul keeps wandering till this ritual is performed by male descendants of the dead,” Murari Lal, a priest said.
Pinda daan is traditionally offered by Hindus, but historical records available with priests show that some Muslims also performed the ritual in the past.
Gaya is about 100 km from state capital Patna.
- Over 200,000 devotees pray for ancestors in Gaya - Sep 09, 2009
- Hindu devotees perform 'pinda daan' despite cold - Jan 12, 2010
- Praying for ancestors' salvation, Hindus head for Gaya - Sep 04, 2009
- Japanese woman performs 'pinda daan' at Gaya - Sep 11, 2009
- Hindu salvation ritual performed for Michael Jackson - Sep 14, 2009
- Three women perform father's 'pinda daan' in Gaya - Sep 26, 2010
- Ayodhya verdict casts a shadow over Gaya pindadaan - Sep 23, 2010
- A Bihar man's 'salvation' service for souls - Oct 03, 2010
- Ahead of Shraadh, a dried Phalgu river disappoints residents in Gaya - Sep 12, 2010
- 'Pinda daan' online? Never, say Hindu priests in Gaya - Jul 03, 2009
- Bihar's River Phalgu partially dammed for devotees to perform rituals at Gaya - Sep 27, 2010
- Hundreds of people throng Gaya to pray for their ancestors' salvation By - Sep 23, 2010
- Bihar scraps online prayer for ancestors - Aug 07, 2009
- Pilgrims converge in Gaya to conduct 'Pind Daan' despite severe cold - Jan 15, 2010
- Shatrughan Sinha speaks out against online 'pinda daan' proposal - Sep 07, 2009
Tags: ancestor worship, ancestors, district administration, district authorities, drought, fortnight, gaya district, hindu devotees, hindus, king of pop, lal, male descendants, murari, narayan, patna, pop michael jackson, sanjeev, security arrangements, sinha, tight security