Over 40,000 scholarships provided to minority communityJuly 13th, 2012 - 12:30 am ICT by IANS
Ne w Delhi, July 12 (IANS) As many as 42,476 scholarships were awarded to students from minority communities during 2011-12 under the merit-cum-means scholarship scheme of the ministry of minority affairs, it was announced Thursday.
According to the ministry, an amount of Rs.115.72 crores was spent on the purpose during the year.
“Of these 32,723 scholarships went to students belonging to the Muslim community; 5,764 were awarded to Christian students; 3,463 to Sikh students; 516 to Buddhist students and 10 to the students belonging to the Parsi community,” the ministry said.
For 2012-13, the budgetary provision for this scheme has been increased to Rs.220 crore and the physical target has also been increased to 80,000 scholarships.
The scheme is meant for the students belonging to the minority communities studying in technical and professional courses.
The scheme also provides for earmarking 30 percent of the target for girls. During 2011-12, the percentage of girl students benefiting from scholarship scheme was 36.82.
This scheme was launched in 2007-08 and cumulatively 162,967 scholarships have been awarded till March 2012.
- Budget: Minority girl students to get free cycles - Mar 16, 2012
- 'Over 95 lakh Muslim students benefited through scholarships' - Aug 23, 2012
- Khurshid launches student module of OSMS for minority community students - Apr 15, 2011
- Government committed to welfare of minorities: Khurshid - Jul 09, 2011
- Educational aid for poor: BJP to raise issue in parliament - Aug 18, 2012
- Aadhaar to pilot pensions, wages in 50 districts, says Ramesh - Jul 01, 2012
- US Sikh body gives scholarships to Punjab students - Jun 08, 2012
- Delhi's Rs.15,133 crore annual plan approved - May 04, 2011
- Job centres for minorities in every district: Mamata - Jan 10, 2012
- Education gets 24 percent hike (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Education gets 24 percent hike in budget allocation - Feb 28, 2011
- Highlights of Union Budget 2011-12 (Part-IV) - Feb 28, 2011
- Govt. giving special emphasis on assistance to economically disadvantaged groups: PM - Jan 06, 2011
- President Patil inaugurates national festival of tribal dances - Mar 16, 2011
- Work for minorities without caring for credit: Minister - May 14, 2010
Tags: buddhist students, budgetary provision, christian students, crore, crores, girl students, girls, minority affairs, minority communities, minority community, muslim community, parsi community, professional courses, scholarship scheme, scholarships, sikh students, target