Over 40,000 illegal Bangladeshi migrants deported from DelhiJuly 25th, 2009 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 25 (IANS) The government has deported over 40,000 illegal Bangladeshi migrants from the national capital in the past six years, the Delhi High Court has been told.
In a fresh affidavit filed earlier this week the government informed a division bench of Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice Manmohan that 40,300 illegal migrants from Bangladesh have been deported since 2003.
The action comes as the court directed the government in 2003 to identify at least 100 illegal Bangladeshi migrants in the city each day and deport them.
The court had passed the order on a public interest litigation by a Delhi High Court lawyer seeking a direction to the central government and the Delhi government to frame a policy for deportation of illegal Bangladeshis.
However, counsel for the petitioner objected to the centre’s fresh affidavit and alleged that the government was not following court’s directions that at least 100 Bangladeshi migrants have to be deported every day.
But the court rejected his contention and said that it cannot give any directions to the government in this respect as the government is doing its work.
The court had earlier also pulled up the government for not giving the exact figure of illegal Bangladeshi migrants in the capital and attempts by the government to bypass the court over the issue.
The public interest petition had also contended that illegal stay of Bangladeshis was not only causing serious law and order problems in the capital and bordering districts, but has created extra burden on the civic facilities and rightful citizens were deprived of the facilities.
- Court dismisses PIL on Bangladeshi illegal immigrants - Apr 22, 2011
- Apex court stays cancellation of Jaipur's Jal Mahal lease (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Apex court issues notices on Jaipur's Jal Mahal lease - May 25, 2012
- Why not asylum to Pakistani Hindus, court asks government - Dec 21, 2011
- Ensure not one life is lost in cold, apex court tells states - Jan 09, 2012
- Apex court to hear plea on Jaipur lake - May 24, 2012
- Delhi University assures HC on biometric attendance for teachers - Sep 19, 2012
- Khurshid remark no interference in 2G case, apex court told - Jan 17, 2012
- Consider making police stations tobacco-free: Delhi High Court - Jun 12, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh ignoring Vrindavan widows: SC - Jul 30, 2012
- SC declines plea on Tamil Nadu government's secretariat (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Government asked to finalise policy on ex-judges' advice - Feb 29, 2012
- Himachal court's directive on seats for women in buses - Aug 28, 2012
- Gujarat court summons official over illegal mining - Dec 21, 2010
- Court raises relief for Games overbridge crash victims (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010