Over 400 militants waiting to enter valley: ArmyMay 23rd, 2012 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 23 (IANS) The army apprehends an increase in infiltration attempts from across the Line of Control (LoC) during the coming month, said a senior official who warned that there are “some 400 to 500 militants waiting to sneak into the valley”.
“With the melting of snows in the mountains, we are apprehending fresh attempts of infiltration from across the LoC. There would be increased attempts of infiltration during the coming month,” Lt. Gen. S.A. Hasnain told reporters in Srinagar Wednesday.
“There are some 400 to 500 militants waiting to sneak into the valley during the next two months, but we are prepared to foil all such attempts,” the army commander asserted.
“We have so far repaired 63 percent of the damaged LoC fencing. Yesterday (Tuesday) there was an infiltration bid in Keran sector…we foiled that attempt although no militant was killed in the operation,” he said.
On the recent grenade explosions in Sopore town and Batmaloo area of Srinagar city, the General Officer Commanding (GOC) of the 15th Corps said: “They (the militants) want to register their presence by doing such acts”.
The commander inaugurated an LED board installed by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) to inform people about the latest status of traffic on the Srinagar-Jammu National Highway.
- Slain LeT leader was not given surrender option: Army - Sep 15, 2011
- No definite information on infiltration: Army - Jun 21, 2011
- Peace winds blow in Kashmir Valley - Sep 19, 2011
- Major infiltration bid foiled, 12 Lashkar men killed (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Army commander visits forward areas on LoC - May 07, 2012
- Militant killed, another held in Kashmir - Nov 17, 2009
- No infiltration from across LoC this year: Indian Army - Jul 16, 2011
- Army foils infiltration bid in Uri, three militants killed - Oct 23, 2010
- Four infiltrators killed on LoC - Oct 01, 2011
- 100 guerrillas waiting to sneak into Kashmir: Army - Dec 19, 2011
- Two intruders killed as army foils infiltration bid in Kashmir - Apr 04, 2010
- Four infiltration bids foiled in eight days in Kashmir - Aug 06, 2011
- Army foils infiltration bid, arrests one - Feb 23, 2012
- Defence secretary visits LOC in Kashmir - Sep 05, 2011
- Army steps up vigil along LoC - May 20, 2012