Over 3,000 protesters rally in SyriaMay 14th, 2011 - 5:33 am ICT by IANS
Syria, May 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Over 3,000 protesters took to the streets in Syria Friday, despite two days of violent crackdowns on demonstrators, local media said.
Syrian interior ministry said that about 3,700 people marched through suburbs of Damascus, Idleb and Homs, chanting “Allah, Syria, Freedom!”
Local media reported that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad remained true to his word not to shoot at protesters, but opposition leaders were quoted in Western media as saying that two people were killed in Homs.
Syrian rights activists say that more than 750 demonstrators have been killed in Syria since the unrest began two months ago.
Earlier this week security forces conducted house-to-house raids in Syria’s third largest city of Homs, the coastal town of Baniya, the capital Damascus, and the southern city of Deraa
About 2,000 students rallied against the government raids late Wednesday in a university campus in Syria’s largest city of Aleppo. The protest was dispersed by police and pro-government students.
Rights activists describe Wednesday as one of the bloodiest days in the unrest, saying 22 people were killed, including 13 in the southern town of Al Harra, which was shelled by tanks.
Syrian authorities claim the protests are organised by Islamic extremists seeking to seize power in the country.
- Protests break out in Syrian towns after Friday prayers - May 21, 2011
- Japanese, Syrian journalists killed in clashes - Aug 21, 2012
- Clashes between Syrian army, opposition continue in Aleppo - Aug 01, 2012
- Syrian troops shoot unarmed civilians : Al Arabiya - Jun 03, 2011
- At least 55 killed in Syria pro-democracy violence - Mar 26, 2011
- Obama warns Syria against using chemical weapons - Jul 24, 2012
- US closes embassy in Syria - Feb 07, 2012
- EU tightens sanctions on Syria - Jul 23, 2012
- Terrorist leader killed in Syria - Aug 13, 2012
- Russia condemns attacks on journalists in Syria - Aug 15, 2012
- Syria releases over 900 protesters - Dec 01, 2011
- 17 killed in Syrian car bombing - Sep 10, 2012
- Six killed in firing on protesters in Syria - Jun 25, 2011
- 11 killed in Syria - May 31, 2011
- Significant devastation in Syria's Homs: UN official - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: al harra, bashar al assad, coastal town, damascus, demonstrators, government raids, government students, homs, idleb, interior ministry, islamic extremists, local media, opposition leaders, president bashar, protesters, ria novosti, security forces, syrian authorities, syrian president bashar al, true to his word