Over 24 injured in Madhya Pradesh group clashJuly 26th, 2008 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, July 26 (IANS) Over two dozen people were injured, 19 seriously, when two groups clashed after an inebriated man allegedly criticised a community feast and prayer at a temple in Madhya Pradesh’s Shajapur district Saturday. The feast and prayers at a Hanuman temple in Khedawad village were organised to appease the rain gods. While the rituals were in progress, a drunk man started abusing and criticizing the event. He was beaten up by a few people.
Later some people started pelting stones on the organizers of the event and it led to an altercation between both the groups, which turned violent leaving over two dozen people injured.
The injured were admitted to the district hospital, said Shajapur district Additional Superintendent of Police R.C. Pawar.
“The situation is tense but under control,” he said, adding that additional police personnel have been deployed in the area.
- Curfew in Madhya Pradesh town after one killed - Jan 02, 2010
- Prayers in Himachal temples for India's victory - Apr 02, 2011
- In Bihar, many think dengue is a divine curse - Sep 23, 2010
- Agra short of priests for 'pitrapaksh' rituals - Sep 30, 2010
- Curfew imposed in Andhra town - Mar 30, 2012
- Controversial mosque site area peaceful - Jul 23, 2012
- BJP celebrates Vajpayee's birthday in Lucknow - Dec 25, 2010
- Unique Himachal ritual: Pelting stones to appease goddess - Nov 06, 2010
- Assam celebrates Bihu festival with bonfires, bird fights (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Four Assam jute farmers killed in police firing - Oct 10, 2011
- Villagers organise age-old stone pelting festival in Madhya Pradesh - Aug 22, 2009
- Senior cop among 30 injured in Kashmir clashes - Nov 07, 2011
- Jharkhand fan keeps fast for Indfia's triumph - Apr 02, 2011
- Mosque area tense, many held for stoning cops (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Lakhs witness 'celestial light' on Sabarimala horizon (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012