Over 20,000 poultry culled in West BengalDecember 20th, 2008 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 20 (IANS) Over 20,000 poultry have been culled since Tuesday in West Bengal’s bird flu-hit Malda district, a state minister said Saturday.”Veterinary workers have culled over 20,000 chickens and ducks till Saturday afternoon at Narhatta and Satgheria villages under English Bazar police station in Malda,” animal Resources Development (ARD) minister Anisur Rehman told IANS Saturday.
Rehman said the culling operation is likely to be over by Saturday night.
“The culling operation should have been over Friday. But due to some bureaucratic problems it had to be continued till Saturday. It is likely to be over by Saturday night. We will begin a two-day mopping up operation in the affected areas Sunday,” Rehman said.
The minister further said there has been no untoward incident during the culling operation so far.
The ARD had set a target of culling about 25,000 poultry in the affected areas of Malda, about 350 km from here.
Veterinary workers, wearing white protective suits, gloves and masks, started the culling operations Tuesday after blood samples of dead poultry sent to the High Security Disease Diagnostic Laboratory in Bhopal had tested positive for avian flu.
In January, over 200,000 poultry birds were culled in several West Bengal districts. An outbreak of bird flu had been detected at Malda in March and more than 50,000 birds were culled. This is the second time the disease has hit the district.
- Over 22,000 poultry culled in bird flu-hit Malda - Dec 21, 2008
- About 17,000 poultry culled in West Bengal - Dec 19, 2008
- 9,000 birds culled in bird-flu hit Bengal district - Dec 18, 2008
- Bird flu: culling operations on in West Bengal, Assam (Lead) - Dec 23, 2008
- Culling on in West Bengal's bird flu-hit Malda (Lead) - Dec 17, 2008
- Hit by avian flu again, West Bengal's Malda begins culling - Dec 16, 2008
- Over 10,000 birds culled in West Bengal's Malda (Lead) - Dec 18, 2008
- Culling continues in avian flu-hit district of Meghalaya - Jan 13, 2012
- Bird flu panic abates in Meghalaya - Feb 11, 2012
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- West Bengal starts 3-day culling in bird flu hit Malda (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2008
- West Bengal's Malda hit by bird flu, culling begins (Lead) - Dec 16, 2008
- Tripura, Mizoram on bird flu alert - Feb 25, 2011
- Fresh outbreak of bird flu in West Bengal - Feb 18, 2009
- 155 poultry culled in West Bengal's bird flu-hit Malda - Dec 17, 2008