Over 200 pilots to take wings in HimachalOctober 15th, 2011 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Oct 15 (IANS) Over 200 pilots will take wings in the skies of Himachal Pradesh with a weeklong paragliding championship beginning Sunday, an official said Saturday.
“More than 200 gliders will participate in the Paragliding International Championship and Himalayan National Paragliding Championship at Bir-Billing (in Kangra district) Oct 16-22,” youth services and sports department joint director Suman Rawat told IANS.
She said pilots from Britain, Germany, Russia, the US, Australia and France would also compete in the championship.
The Aero Club of India is providing technical support to the event.
Sheltered by mountains and surrounded by rolling tea gardens, Bir-Billing, situated at a height of 2,290 metres and about 300 km from here, is considered to be one of the finest aero-sports sites in the world.
Its name has also been included in international circuits for steady thermals.
Last year, 200 pilots took part in the Himalayan Open Para Gliding held in Bir-Billing Nov 11-14.
Local lad Arvind Paul secured the first position in the open category, while Sikander Thakur was first in the novice category.
Russian pilots hogged the limelight in the women’s category. Veranian Anstasiia and Zhuravlovya Maria were first and second, respectively.
The entire take-off range at Billing and landing site at Bir were refurbished as per international specifications two years ago.
Now at least 100 gliders can take off from Billing at any one point of time, Rawat added.
- Israel pilot paragliding champion in Himachal event - Oct 22, 2011
- 70 paragliders to test skills in Himachal skies - Nov 11, 2010
- Himachal bans paragliding after CWG advisory - Oct 04, 2010
- Paragliders wait in Himachal for CWG to conclude - Oct 13, 2010
- Himachal revokes ban on para-gliding as CWG ends - Oct 15, 2010
- Himachal postpones paragliding event - Oct 21, 2010
- Himachal cancels paragliding competitions - Oct 03, 2009
- Himachal refurbishing Bir Billing to host world paragliding events - Oct 18, 2009
- Russian paraglider rescued in Himachal - Oct 26, 2009
- German pilot wins paragliding meet in Himachal - Oct 21, 2008
- Two Russian paragliders injured in Himachal - Oct 25, 2009
- Himachal Pradesh to host paragliding meet from Oct 16 - Oct 11, 2008
- Russian paraglider killed in Himachal, one still missing - Oct 27, 2009
- Body of missing paragliding pilot recovered after a year in Himachal Pradesh - Jul 31, 2010
- Missing paraglider traced in Himachal (Lead) - Nov 11, 2009
Tags: aero club, arvind, first position, gliders, India, international circuits, kangra district, lad, limelight, mountains, novice category, open category, russia, russian pilots, shimla, sports department, tea gardens, technical support, thakur, wings