Over 20 quintals adulterated sweets seized in PunjabNovember 2nd, 2010 - 2:52 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Nov 2 (IANS) With the festival of Diwali round the corner, over 20 quintals of adulterated sweets were seized from a wholesale sweetmeats manufacturer in Punjab’s Jalandhar district Tuesday, health officials said.
“Working on a tip-off, we raided the premises of a leading sweets manufacturer. We seized over 20 quintals of spurious sweets which were later destroyed by our officials,” said R.L. Bhasin, district health officer of Jalandhar, some 150 km from here.
“We will continue our raids in the coming days. Many sweet manufacturers use sub-standard ingredients to meet the increasing demand for sweets in the upcoming festival season,” he added.
Besides, over 25 quintals of adulterated milk products and sweets were seized from Patiala town, around 70 km from here, Sunday.
In another raid in neighbouring Haryana state, health officials recovered more than three quintals of spurious milk products from Jind district.
“These milk products were supposed to be used in the manufacture of sweets for Diwali,” a health official said Tuesday.
- 20,000 kg of adulterated sweets confiscated in Gorakhpur - Nov 01, 2010
- Chandigarh promises bitter Diwali for spurious sweet makers - Nov 04, 2010
- Hundreds of quintals of spurious milk, khoya, ghee seized in Punjab - Oct 11, 2009
- Fearing raids, Chandigarh sweet shop owners move base - Oct 23, 2011
- 840 kg of adulterated sweets confiscated in Ajmer - Oct 26, 2010
- Spurious milk powder racket unearthed in Jharkhand - Jan 01, 2011
- Chandigarh gives its sweet shops 48 hours to clean up - Oct 22, 2010
- Spurious drugs racket busted in Haryana - Jul 15, 2011
- 15 cases of sale of unsafe food items in Delhi since August - Oct 18, 2011
- Fake sauce factory busted in Maharashtra - Nov 18, 2011
- Adulterated ghee factory busted in Orissa, four held - Jan 05, 2010
- Fake milk unit busted in Lucknow police raid - Jul 18, 2010
- Spurious milk meant for Delhi seized in Haryana - May 29, 2009
- Delhi to crackdown on food adulterators - May 11, 2011
- Spurious medicines racket busted, three arrested (Lead) - Jul 16, 2011