Over 20 killed in Venezuela prison fightAugust 21st, 2012 - 4:29 am ICT by IANS
Caracas, Aug 21 (IANS) More than 20 people have been killed in a prison riot between two inmate gangs near the Venezuelan capital, media reported.
The violence erupted Sunday night at the Yare I prison, south of Caracas, and one of the dead was an inmate’s relative or family member, Xinhua quoted Iris Varela, minister for penitentiary system (or, prison) telling a TV channel. She did not give any precise number of casualties.
The situation could be brought under control Monday, she added.
Prison overcrowding and riots have long been serious problems in Venezuela. According to the non-governmental organisation Venezuelan Prisons Observatory, Venezuela’s prisons, with a design capacity of 14,000, house more than 44,000 inmates.
In July 2011, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez nominated Varela as prison minister to address a prison crisis that has led to numerous violent revolts across the country.
- 25 killed in brawl at Venezuelan prison (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Venezuela prison brawl toll rises to 26 - Aug 24, 2012
- Venezuela doesn't believe it needs more jails - Sep 28, 2011
- Venezuelan killed by stray shot from prison - May 10, 2012
- Five accused of sex crimes slain in Venezuela prison - Jan 03, 2012
- 4,000 Venezuelan prisoners on hunger strike - Sep 04, 2010
- Prison official slain in Venezuela - Jul 07, 2012
- Venezuelan inmates hold 700 jail visitors hostage - Jan 08, 2012
- Inmates' relatives occupy two Venezuelan prisons - Feb 17, 2010
- 16 die in Venezuela prison violence - Oct 01, 2010
- Kin protest for better condition in Venezuelan jails - Jan 12, 2010
- Eight killed in Venezuelan prison riot - May 05, 2010
- Venezuela provides $2 bn for fund with China - Jul 11, 2011
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: family member, gangs, governmental organisation, hugo chavez, inmates, precise number, president hugo chavez, prison crisis, prison minister, prison overcrowding, prison riot, prisons, riots, tv channel, venezuelan capital, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez, violent revolts, xinhua, yare