Over 20 killed in Peshawar bomb blast (Second Lead)September 6th, 2008 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 6 (IANS) More than 20 people were killed and several injured in a bomb blast in Peshawar as Pakistan’s parliamentarians voted to elect the country’s 13th president.Police and witnesses said a van containing explosives hit a security check-post in Peshawar before ramming into a nearby building and exploding, killing more than 20 people, including six security personnel.
An interior ministry official confirmed that six security officials were killed while 11 others died on the spot. However, hospital sources said they had received 20 dead bodies and more than 50 injured people. They said some of the injured were in critical condition.
Rescue workers said around 30 people are still trapped in the building that was hit by the explosive laden double cabin Toyota.
The blast took place when parliamentarians were voting in the presidential elections to elect the 13th head of the state after last month’s resignation of dictator Pervez Musharraf.
“We are concerned about the law and order situation and increasing terrorism,” Information Minister Sherry Rehman told reporters in Islamabad after casting her vote in the Parliament House.
- Five policemen among six killed in Peshawar blasts (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Senior cop dies in Peshawar suicide blast (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- More blasts in Pakistan, three killed (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Three killed in Pakistan car bomb attack - Sep 02, 2011
- Three killed in another blast in Pakistan - Jan 13, 2011
- Five die in Peshawar blast (Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Five blasts rock Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- 11 injured in Peshawar blast - Oct 27, 2011
- Four die in Peshawar suicide bombing (Fourth Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- 15 killed in suicide blasts targeting Shiites in Lahore, Karachi (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- US consulate vehicles targeted in Peshawar blast, one dead (Second Lead) - May 20, 2011
- 9 killed in Peshawar bomb blast (Second Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- 13 killed in blast at Peshawar funeral (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- 5 killed in Peshawar bomb blast (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Eight injured in Peshawar blast - Dec 22, 2011