Over 20 injured in Bengal clash over INTUC leader’s killingAugust 15th, 2012 - 5:47 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 15 (IANS) Over 20 people, including 16 policemen, were injured in West Bengal’s Hooghly district after supporters of a murdered Congress leader clashed with the police, officials said Wednesday.
Police lobbed tear gas shells and baton charged the supporters of Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC) leader Dilip Paswan, who was shot dead by unidentified assailants Tuesday in Bandel, 60 km from here.
The protestors also set a police van on fire. Rapid Action Force (RAF) has been deployed at the site of the clash.
“More than 20 people have been injured. Of them, 16 are police personnel. The demonstrators, who had blocked the GT Road at Bandel, clashed with the police. Twenty-two persons have been detained in this connection,” Hooghly Superintendent of Police Tanmay Roy Chowdhury said.
One person has been arrested for the murder of Paswan.
- Bengal Congress to protest arrests of party cadres - Aug 17, 2012
- Bengal tourism minister's car attacked - Mar 25, 2012
- Trinamool supporter killed, arms recovered in Bengal - May 17, 2011
- 8 injured as stone pelting protestors defy curfew in Kashmir (update) - Oct 27, 2010
- 33 held for violence during Congress rally (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Two injured in West Bengal as clashes mar strike (Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Trade unions to march in support of Maruti workers - Aug 16, 2012
- Attack on Yasin Malik in Ajmer triggers protests in Srinagar - Feb 11, 2011
- Attack on woman cop during Odisha rally triggers outrage - Sep 07, 2012
- Several hurt as Odisha Congress protest turns violent (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Tension spilling over to Jammu - Mar 16, 2012
- Congress calls for shutdown in Odisha - Sep 07, 2012
- One dead, 14 injured in West Bengal as strike cripples life (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Stray violence marks nationwide Bangladesh strike (Lead) - Nov 14, 2010
- Three Congress supporters injured in clash with CPI-M activists - Jul 05, 2010
Tags: bandel, congress leader, demonstrators, dilip, gas shells, gt road, hooghly district, intuc, national trade union congress, paswan, police officials, police van, policemen, protestors, rapid action, roy chowdhury, trade union congress, two persons, unidentified assailants, west bengal