Over 20 injured in Albania building collapseNovember 10th, 2008 - 3:43 am ICT by IANS
Tirana, Nov 10 (DPA) More than 20 people were injured and three missing after a five-story building collapsed Sunday in the southern Albanian town of Gjirokaster.According to media reports, police have arrested nine people in connection with the collapse, which was apparently caused by faulty construction.
Rescuers were still trying to recover the three missing people, Genc Ruli, the Trade and Energy Minister, told TV News 24.
The workers however were being very cautious in their efforts, as a large part of the building was still standing and threatening to fall.
Along with several other countries in the Balkans, Albanian cities are plagued by chaotic construction, with thousands of buildings springing up each month without proper permits and inspections.
- 20 killed in Bangladesh building collapse - Jun 03, 2010
- One dead, 39 injured in clashes in Albania - Jan 21, 2011
- 53 rescuers pulled out of southwest China mine, 5 workers trapped - Jul 29, 2012
- Five killed in China building collapse - Mar 20, 2012
- Four dead in building collapse - Jul 17, 2011
- Ghaziabad building collapse toll at five (Lead) - Jul 17, 2011
- Albania names new national coach - Dec 15, 2011
- Rescuers struggle to save buried workers in Punjab (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Four dead in Beijing house collapse - May 05, 2012
- 14 bodies recovered after China mudslide - Jul 09, 2012
- Worker rescued 55 hours after Jalandhar factory collapse - Apr 18, 2012
- Four killed in Delhi building collapse - Dec 03, 2011
- Nine trapped in China building collapse - Jun 20, 2011
- Building collapse toll is five, 16 critical (Second Lead) - Jul 17, 2011
- One killed, three trapped in Ahmedabad building collapse (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011