Over 1,800 women beggars held in Mumbai in three yearsApril 26th, 2010 - 6:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) A total of 1,818 women beggars were rounded up in Mumbai and only 319 and 19 in Delhi and Kolkata respectively in the past three years, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath Monday said.
“The number of women beggars hauled up in the National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata in the last three years is 319, 1,818 and 19 respectively,” the minister told the Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
“A study on girls and women in prostitution in India conducted between 2002-04 with the ministry’s support had estimated that there were about 150,000 to 200,000 prostitutes in six metro cities of Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Mumbai,” Krishna Tirath told the house.
- Government moots women's helpline in 12th Plan - Aug 09, 2012
- Maximum child abuse cases from Delhi, Uttar Pradesh - Nov 22, 2010
- 3,554 workers died in accidents - Aug 24, 2011
- Govt considering changes in dowry act - May 03, 2012
- Over 2,000 Indian kids adopted internationally - Aug 18, 2011
- Infosys suffers 10 percent tumble on disappointing earnings - Apr 15, 2011
- Armed forces facing a shortage of 15,004 officers, says Antony - Mar 07, 2011
- West Bengal tops in child trafficking cases - May 03, 2012
- Andhra Pradesh tops in domestic violence cases - May 03, 2012
- Declining child sex ratio matter of concern: Tirath - Mar 31, 2011
- Uttarakhand asked to speed up welfare schemes - Aug 31, 2011
- Infosys net up 17 percent in Q4 - Apr 15, 2011
- Panel set up to study status of Indian women - May 17, 2012
- 'Over 50 percent Anganwadi facilities minus toilets' - Aug 09, 2012
- Over 8,000 trafficking cases registered in three years - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: beggars, chennai, child development, development minister, girls, hyderabad, kolkata, krishna, metro cities, mumbai, national capital territory, nct of delhi, New Delhi, prostitutes, prostitution in india, rajya sabha, reply