Over 16,000 Pakistani kids not given polio dropsAugust 4th, 2011 - 1:10 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 4 (IANS) Over 16,000 children were not given polio drops in Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province due to parents’ misconception, officials said.
“In the last three-day campaign in July, 16,721 children could not be immunised mainly because of the parents’ misperceptions about the efficacy of the (polio drops),” Dawn quoted an official as saying.
Officials said that in at least 23 districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, they had been regularly registering refusal cases.
The media report said that some parents refuse vaccination arguing that the polio drops are a ploy to turn the children impotent.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and the Federally Administered Tribal Area (Fata) together recorded 100 of the total 142 cases in the country last year.
Jan Baz Afridi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s polio officer, said they have brought down refusal cases from 26,000 to 16,000 during the past six months.
“The refusal cases have not increased, but we have strengthened our reporting system to record every child. Earlier, the system of reporting was not so strong…,” he was quoted as saying.
- Two held in Pakistan for refusing polio drops - Sep 21, 2011
- A million Pakistani kids to get anti-polio drops - Jul 16, 2012
- Families refuse polio drops in Bihar - Sep 21, 2011
- 'Polio vaccines may have lost efficacy in Pakistan' - Dec 22, 2010
- Faltering on polio, Pakistan looks at India lesson - Mar 02, 2012
- How battle against polio was won in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 24, 2011
- 'Ensure regular vaccination to make India polio free' - Feb 23, 2012
- Spread awareness about polio: Minister to Bengal religious leaders - Jun 16, 2012
- Muslim clerics join hands for polio eradication in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 28, 2011
- Over 17 crore kids get polio vaccine - Feb 19, 2012
- Polio endemic countries hopeful for eradicating virus - Feb 26, 2012
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Bivalent polio vaccine launched in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh - Feb 07, 2010
- In Uttar Pradesh bylanes, children help fight polio - Feb 03, 2011
- Pakistan hopes to end polio in two years - Jun 01, 2012