Over 160 nominations filed for new UAE global energy awardAugust 28th, 2008 - 1:08 pm ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, Aug 27 (IANS) Over 160 nominations from around 40 countries have been filed for the inaugural Zayed Future Energy Prize to be presented in a global energy summit here next year.Named in honour of UAE’s founding father Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan and instituted by the Abu Dhabi-based renewable energy company Masdar, the award recognizes individuals, organizations, companies and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) who are advancing innovation in the field of clean energy and sustainable development.
According to Masdar, the international awards programme was designed to recognize innovation and leadership in the global search for future energy solutions.
A jury of international experts chaired by India’s R.K. Pachauri, chairman of the Nobel prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, will choose one winner and two finalists for the prize, the official Emirates News Agency (WAM) reported.
The winner and finalists of the first Zayed Future Energy Prize will be announced at the World Future Energy Summit to be held here Jan 19-21, 2009.
While the winner will receive $1.5 million, each of the two finalists will receive $350,000 to take their ideas and ambitions forward.
The Zayed Future Energy Prize was launched in January this year at the inaugural World Future Energy Summit by General Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces.
Nominations and submissions for the award will close Aug 31, 2008, and Sep 30, 2008, respectively.
- World Future Energy Summit opens in Abu Dhabi - Jan 18, 2011
- UAE delivers aid for Libyan schools - Sep 02, 2012
- UAE greets world leaders on New Year - Dec 29, 2011
- UAE leaders greet President Mukherjee on Independence Day - Aug 16, 2012
- Abu Dhabi to host earth summit - Dec 08, 2011
- Abu Dhabi hosts energy summit - Jan 21, 2012
- UAE president gets humanitarian award - Dec 03, 2011
- UAE foreign minister visits Iraq - Feb 17, 2012
- Air expo opens in Abu Dhabi - Mar 07, 2012
- UAE, Tunisia discuss educational cooperation - May 09, 2012
- Abu Dhabi to host Global Aerospace Summit 2012 - Feb 23, 2012
- UAE greets India, Pakistan on Independence Day - Aug 14, 2011
- 60 countries file nominations for Zayed Future Energy Prize - Sep 01, 2009
- UAE president greets leaders on Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- UAE, France discuss defence cooperation - Jul 12, 2012