Over 1,400 evacuated after quake hits ChinaDecember 2nd, 2011 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Dec 2 (IANS) Over 1,450 people were evacuated Friday after a 5.2 Richter magnitude earthquake jolted the Xinjiang Uygur region of China and damaged over 2,000 houses, officials said. There were, however, no casualties.
The quake jolted the northwest Xinjiang region Thursday night, Xinhua reported citing the ministry of civil affairs.
The quake was centred in Shache county of Kashi prefecture, 1,666 km from Xinjiang capital Urumqi.
At least 290 houses collapsed while over 1,960 were partially damaged in the quake.
Most of the affected people were residents of Shache, Zepu and Yuepuhu counties.
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- 24 injured in China quake (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Magnitude 6 quake hits China - Mar 09, 2012
- Quake jolts China - Jul 25, 2011
- 12 killed in China riots - Feb 28, 2012
- Moderate earthquake destroys homes, injures dozens in northwest China - Aug 12, 2011
- 12 killed in China riots (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Magnitude-7 quake hits Japan (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Quake hits India's northeast (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 01, 2012
- Four found dead after flooding washes away trucks in northwestern China - Jun 22, 2011
- Japan issues tsunami alter after 6.8-magnitude quake - Aug 19, 2011
- China to recruit 8,000 police officers - Jan 31, 2012
- Earthquake jolts northwest China - Feb 20, 2009
- China blames terrorists trained in Pakistan for Xinjiang attack (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- China to restore quake-hit Tibetan monasteries - Oct 16, 2011