Over 100 Kerala prisoners to be set freeApril 12th, 2008 - 2:38 pm ICT by admin
Thiruvananthapuram, April 12 (IANS) The Kerala government Saturday released 104 prisoners who have completed 14 or more years in prison. State Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan told IANS the list of prisoners being released has been cleared by Kerala Governor R.L. Bhatia.
“According to the rules, the state government has the powers to release (prisoners). We did it after K.P. Somarajan, Jail director general, submitted a detailed report of all those who served 14 years or more in prison,” said Balakrishnan.
Somarajan submitted a list of 116 people who had served more than 14 years in prison. It was forwarded to the governor and after scrutiny, the names of 12 prisoners were deleted.
Somarajan said each prisoner’s nature of crime and the behaviour while in prison was taken into account when the list was prepared.
“Cases like robbery, murder of women and such heinous cases were not considered while preparing the list of prisoners who had completed 14 years or more,” said Somarajan.
On Saturday 47 prisoners from Kannur, 49 from two jails in Thiruvananthapuram, five from Viyur and three from Cheemeni jails were being set free.
“A prisoner who is set free Saturday had completed 26 years. For long the demand has been there to release prisoners who have completed 14 years or more from several rights organisations. We acted well within the rules,” added Balakrishnan.
During the regime of E.K. Nayanar led Left government, 400 prisoners who had served more than 14 years were set free.
- Scandals from past jolt Kerala opposition (Letter from Kerala) - Feb 14, 2011
- Summons for 210 people for phoning Kerala convict (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Kerala palm oil scam: Fresh probe ordered in Chandy's role - Aug 08, 2011
- Out of politburo, Achuthanandan is miffed - Apr 09, 2012
- Kerala Left front hits back at opposition with Kozhikode sex case - Jan 29, 2011
- Kerala CPI-M leader arrested in murder case - Aug 01, 2012
- Two convicts escape from Kerala jail - Jun 14, 2010
- Exit Kochi Tuskers, enter Mohanlal's Kerala Strikers - Sep 22, 2011
- Families of detained Italians visit them in Trivandrum jail - Apr 19, 2012
- Kerala to book Congress MP for graft charge against judge - Feb 14, 2011
- Will Chandy government pardon UDF leader? - Jun 11, 2011
- Foundation stone for Kannur airport to be laid Dec 17 - Nov 20, 2010
- Achuthanandan moves apex court against amnesty for ex-minister - Nov 01, 2011
- Kerala special prosecutor in Palmoil case resigns - Feb 16, 2012
- Good Samaritans to be reimbursed in Kerala - Jul 24, 2010