Outrage in Rajya Sabha over fairness cream for private partsApril 24th, 2012 - 7:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 24 (IANS) An advertisement for a fairness cream for women’s private parts sparked outrage in the Rajya Sabha Tuesday with a CPI-M member raising the issue and the presiding officer saying that the government should take note of her contention.
Raising the issue in zero hour, Communist Party of India-Marxist member T.N. Seema said the advertisement pointed to the manufacturer’s “perversion”.
“This advertisement shows graphic details of a female body in a demeaning manner. It shows the perversion of the company,” she said.
She demanded that the house condemn the advertisement. P.J. Kurien, who was in the chair, supported her contention and said: “I think the government should take note of it.”
Seema also sought the intervention of the information and broadcasting ministry and said there should be action against the advertisers as well as the company for “portraying women in a derogatory manner”.
She said the All India Democratic Women’s Association had already demanded action but nothing had been done.
“Till date no action has been taken. No legal action was pursued against the company,” she said, adding that the existing mechanism had proved ineffective.
- Mullaperiyar issue generates heat in Rajya Sabha - Dec 07, 2011
- TV reality shows content causes concern in regulatory body - Jul 20, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over black money (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Coal allotment: Chorus for PM's resignation, parliament adjourned (Third Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Paris Hilton Rubs Against Controversy With Beer Ad - Feb 26, 2010
- Rajya Sabha adjourned over BJP protests - Aug 09, 2011
- Kurien elected Rajya Sabha deputy chairman - Aug 21, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned after stink - literally (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Trinamool member alleges party workers killed during Left rule - Apr 30, 2012
- Bihar leaders demand Bharat Ratna for Verghese Kurien - Sep 11, 2012
- Mumbai violence raised in Rajya Sabha - Aug 14, 2012
- Shukla caught on mike telling Kurien to adjourn Rajya Sabha - Aug 21, 2012
- Kurien elected Rajya Sabha deputy chairman (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- BJP sticks to 'quit PM' demand (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Ambedkar cartoon rocks parliament (Lead) - May 11, 2012
Tags: advertisement, advertisers, april 24, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, contention, CPI, democratic women, derogatory manner, fairness cream, graphic details, kurien, New Delhi, outrage, perversion, presiding officer, private parts, rajya sabha, seema