Osama, who? ask clueless teenagersMay 4th, 2011 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 4 (IANS) While millions of people across the world heaved a sigh of relief as TV channels broke the news of world’s most wanted terrorist Osama bin Laden being killed in a US special operation Monday, a large number of net-savvy teenagers went into a tizzy.
“Who is bin Laden?” teenagers under 17 years asked desperately, flooding internet, confused and clueless as they were about the man who ran the world’s largest terrorist network and whose manhunt of 10 years had finally culminated in his killing in a Pakistani city, the Daily Mail reports.
Scores more turned to Twitter to pose the question and get the answer, before they were quickly embarrassed by other users for their lack of knowledge.
One youngster wrote: ‘Who is Osama Bin Laden and why should I care?’. Another asked: ‘Is he famous?’
A young Twitter user wrote: ‘Who is Osama? And why is it so good he died?’. Another poster referred to the terrorist leader as ‘Ben’ Laden.
The internet search engine Yahoo! reported a 10,000 per cent increase in search traffic in the hours surrounding President Obama’s announcement Sunday evening.
According to Yahoo!, 40 per cent of searches Sunday for ‘who killed Osama bin laden’ were from people aged 13-20.
But teenagers aged 13-17 made up 66 per cent of searches for the question ‘who is osama bin laden?’
Bizarrely, the eight most popular search term from Yahoo! was ‘How tall is Osama bin Laden?’
- Terror on celluloid: Documentaries, movies tracking Osama - May 02, 2011
- Al Qaeda confirms Osama's death - May 06, 2011
- Islamic clerics hail Osama killing - May 02, 2011
- Twitter record over Osama's killing - May 03, 2011
- Bollywood cheers, jeers Osama's death - May 02, 2011
- Twitter sets new record with Bin Laden's death - May 04, 2011
- Pakistan set to demolish Osama's hideout? - Feb 26, 2012
- Pakistanis shocked over Osama death, angry at US - May 02, 2011
- Time to remember those killed by Osama: Cameron - May 02, 2011
- Osama's body buried at sea - May 02, 2011
- Pakistan to blow up Osama's hideout - Jan 10, 2012
- Fake Martin Luther King Jr. quote goes viral on the Internet - May 04, 2011
- Hazare 2011's top newsmaker on Yahoo India - Dec 11, 2011
- How DNA analysis confirmed Osama bin Laden's death - May 04, 2011
- Osama bin Laden killed after 10 year manhunt in Pakistan (Second Lead) - May 02, 2011
Tags: 17 years, daily mail, internet search engine, lack of knowledge, mail reports, manhunt, obama, osama bin laden, search engine yahoo, search term, search traffic, sigh of relief, sunday evening, terrorist leader, terrorist network, terrorist osama bin, tizzy, tv channels, twitter, youngster