Osama death photos will not be released: ObamaMay 5th, 2011 - 2:03 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 5 (IANS) US President Barack Obama has decided not to release photos of killed Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden’s body, the White House announced Wednesday.
“We don’t trot out this stuff as trophies,” Obama said in an interview with CBS announcing his decision after two days of debate in the White House.
The president said he saw the photos and knew that bin Laden had been killed.
“We discussed this internally,” he said. “Keep in mind, we are absolutely certain that this was him. We’ve done DNA sampling and testing. And so there is no doubt that we killed Osama bin Laden.”
“We don’t need to spike the football… given the graphic nature of the photo it would create national security risk,” Obama said.
Sceptics had called on the US to release photos of bin Laden, who officials say was shot in the face during a raid on his compound, in order to prove that the Al Qaeda leader was really dead.
The White House had said it was debating whether to release the photographs, which are believed to be extremely graphic.
CIA Director Leon Panetta told CBS News Tuesday that he thought a photo would be released, though he said the White House would make the final decision.
Panetta told NBC News: “I don’t think there was any question that ultimately a photograph would be presented to the public.”
Defence Secretary Robert Gates and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton reportedly advised Obama not to release any images, CBS said.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- We won't trot out Osama photos as trophies: Obama (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- US will not release Osama Bin Laden death photos: Obama - May 05, 2011
- Osama bin Laden's photo to be published: CIA chief - May 04, 2011
- US will "ultimately" release pictures of bin-Laden's body - May 04, 2011
- Obama says he will not release Bin Laden photos - May 05, 2011
- Bin Laden died before US raid: Iranian intelligence minister - May 10, 2011
- Someone in Pakistan knew about bin Laden's hideout: Panetta - Jan 28, 2012
- US diver launches underwater search for Osama's body - Jun 13, 2011
- White House silence fuels speculation on Osama's end - May 05, 2011
- Osama would have been taken alive if he had surrendered: White House - May 05, 2011
- Osama dead but not terrorism, say US experts (Second Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Osama dead but terrorism far from over, say US experts (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- No apology for raid to kill Osama: US to Pakistan - May 10, 2011
- A year after Osama's killing, terrorism far from dead - May 01, 2012
- Bin Laden mission was a big gamble for Obama: official - May 04, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,