Oriya devotional singer deadNovember 3rd, 2010 - 11:21 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 3 (IANS) Oriya singer Bhikari Bal, who has sung hundreds of devotional songs, died at a government hospital in Orissa after a prolonged illness. He was 82, family sources said Wednesday.
Bal died late Tuesday at Sriram Chandra Bhanja medical college hospital at Cuttack, some 26 km from here, where he was undergoing treatments since over a week after developing several old age-related complications.
He is survived by his wife, two sons and a daughter. His last rites will be performed Wednesday at the temple town of Puri, some 56 km from here.
Millions of people listen to the recorded devotional songs sung by him to start their day. They are widely played in religious places, including Puri town - the abode of Lord Jagannath.
Bal had also lent his voice as playback singer to dozens of Oriya films.
- Odisha gangrape victim's death triggers protests - Jun 22, 2012
- Oriya filmmaker Basant Nayak passes away - Jun 27, 2011
- Odisha gang rape: Doctors protest action - Jun 27, 2012
- Famous Oriya singer Sikandar Alam is dead - Aug 09, 2010
- Odisha moonshine toll is 30 (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Odisha hooch toll is 32, excise minister resigns (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim dies in hospital - Jun 21, 2012
- Odisha hooch toll 30, government blames medicines - Feb 09, 2012
- Man killed on Diwali night in row over crackers - Nov 06, 2010
- Odisha assault victim's kin seek CBI probe - Mar 11, 2012
- Three Odisha doctors charged in Pipli gangrape case - Jun 13, 2012
- Two workers killed in Orissa - Jun 26, 2010
- Two workers killed in Orissa (Lead) - Jun 26, 2010
- Women's panel probes Odisha gang rape - Feb 02, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Activists demand women panel chief's sacking - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: abode, chandra, devotional songs, dozens, family sources, government hospital, last rites, lent, lord jagannath, medical college hospital, orissa, oriya films, playback singer, religious places, sriram, temple town