Orissa’s flood hit attack officials as misery deepensSeptember 24th, 2008 - 12:21 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 24 (IANS) Desperate for relief after days of being marooned without food and shelter, Orissa’s flood hit blocked roads and attacked officials in several places as the government admitted Wednesday that its teams had still not reached 100,000 people.Heavy rains have lead to the Mahanadi and its tributaries overflowing their banks and affected about four million people. At least 35 people have been killed, officials said.
Though the waters had receded in several places, more than 100,000 people were still marooned.
“Relief operations have been stepped up. Navy and paramilitary personnel have now joined the operations and we hope to reach the most vulnerable victims by evening,” a senior state revenue department official told IANS.
With their miseries deepening by the day, frustrated people hit out at relief distribution teams. In Nuagaon village in the coastal district of Jagatsinghpur, for instance, clashes between two groups led to at least nine people being hurt, including a policeman. Irate victims also locked the office of the block development officer complaining of irregularities in relief distribution.
Similar clashes broke out in the worst hit districts of Kendrapada and Puri, officials said. Besides, hundreds of victims blocked roads Tuesday and Wednesday in several places in both districts demanding relief.
Many victims have said they have not received any relief for three days, and if they have it has been inadequate.
According to a preliminary government estimate, the losses from the floods would be more than Rs.24 billion.
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Orissa flood toll 20 - Sep 14, 2011
- Orissa flood toll rises to 48, Advani carries out aerial survey (Lead) - Sep 24, 2008
- Orissa steps up flood relief efforts - Sep 12, 2011
- Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villages - Sep 23, 2011
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
- Orissa flood situation continues to be grim - Sep 27, 2011
- Death toll in Orissa flood rises to 22 - Sep 15, 2011
- Assam floods: Death toll reaches 100, 16 missing - Jul 05, 2012
- Governor asks Orissa to probe dam 'mismanagement' - Oct 05, 2011
- Rains batter Andhra Pradesh - Sep 04, 2012
- Assam floods: Gogoi orders rescue of marooned - Jun 26, 2012
- Orissa floods: Six die, toll rises to 32 - Sep 16, 2011
- Four more die in Orissa floods, toll at 26 - Sep 15, 2011
- Northeast floods render 75,000 homeless, relief stepped up (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012