Orissa zoo launches special summer menu for animalsMay 16th, 2011 - 1:24 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 16 (IANS) Authorities in Orissa’s Nandankanan Zoo have introduced a special summer menu to protect animals from the heat wave with the mercury crossing 45 degrees Celsius in the state, officials said.
The menu includes green mango, watermelon, papaya, coconut water and sugarcane juice, zoo deputy director S.N. Mohapatra told IANS.
Besides, the zoo has put straw thatching over the roofs of about 50 enclosures that house birds, primates, lions, tigers, zebra, chimpanzee, orangutans and the reticulated python, he said.
“We are sprinkling water from time to time on the straw thatch roof of these enclosures to keep the animals cool,” he said.
Mohapatra said a group of officials is conducting health checkups of the animals several times during the day and providing necessary treatment if they find any of the animals sick.
Nandankanan, which literally means ‘garden of gods’, was established in 1960 on the outskirts of Bhubaneswar. It is home to more than 1,580 animals, including 634 mammals, 812 birds and 134 reptiles.
Many cities and towns have already recorded temperatures of over 45 degrees Celsius in the past few days, and weather officials say the mercury will only go up further.
- Coolers help zoo animals beat heat - Mar 19, 2010
- Coolers, sprinklers, glucose to help Delhi Zoo beat heat - May 05, 2011
- Animals get blankets in Orissa zoo to beat the cold - Jan 05, 2010
- Orissa zoo takes measures to beat the heat - Apr 15, 2008
- Coolers, sheds, mangos...beating summer blues at Delhi Zoo - May 09, 2012
- Five tiger cubs die in Odisha's Nandankanan zoo - Nov 18, 2011
- The world's longest snake - Fluffy dies - Oct 28, 2010
- Four race horses succumb to heat wave in Bengal - Jun 07, 2012
- Now, coolers, glucose and vitamins for Patna Zoo inmates - Apr 19, 2010
- White tiger succumbs to tumor at Nandankanan zoo - Jan 23, 2012
- Vizag Zoo now has substantial rock python population - Aug 16, 2010
- Dismal conditions at Ludhiana Zoo - Jun 24, 2009
- Orissa zoo gears up for birth of chimpanzee - Oct 12, 2009
- Polar bear dies from zebra virus - Aug 18, 2012
- Heatwave continues in Odisha, claims 32 lives - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: celsius, checkups, chimpanzee, cities and towns, coconut water, deputy director, garden of gods, heat wave, mohapatra, nandankanan zoo, necessary treatment, orangutans, orissa, primates, reticulated python, sprinkling water, state officials, summer menu, watermelon, weather officials