Orissa villagers clash over Posco plant, one deadJune 21st, 2008 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Jagatsinghpur (Orissa), June 21 (IANS) One person died and two were injured after clashes broke out in a village in Orissa’s Jagatsinghpur district over the setting up of a steel plant by South Korean Major Posco, police said Saturday. Violence erupted in Govindpur village late Friday after a face-off between the supporters and critics of the project, a police official said.
The groups were armed with axes and swords and one group hurled country-made bombs at the other, Anil Mishra, in-charge of Kujanga police station, told IANS.
“Three people were injured in the clashes and one of them died in hospital today (Saturday),” he said.
Jagatsinghpur is about 100 km from state capital Bhubaneswar and Govindpur falls under the Kujanga police station.
The region has witnessed a series of clashes since the steel company and the Orissa government signed a deal in June 2005 to build the $12 billion plant near Paradeep port by 2016.
Those opposed to the project say it will displace over 20,000 people from around 15 villages and ruin their betel leaf farming. Supporters say the plant will bring prosperity and employment.
Posco, the world’s fourth largest steel maker, says the plant would affect only 500 families but would create thousands of jobs. In the three years since the deal was signed, there has been little progress on the ground as activists have launched agitations and united villagers against the project.
- POSCO project: Supporters, protesters hold rival meets - Mar 13, 2011
- Anti-Posco leader threatens to intensify stir - Sep 12, 2009
- Orissa court grants bail to anti-Posco leader - Aug 20, 2009
- barricades are up again at Posco site - Feb 03, 2011
- Posco project work to start early next year - Aug 26, 2009
- Anti-Posco leader released on bail - Aug 22, 2009
- India approves South Korea's $12 billion steel plant - Jan 31, 2011
- Political parties to support anti-POSCO movement - Mar 01, 2011
- Anti-Posco leader released on bail in Odisha - May 18, 2012
- Thousands of Orissa villagers rally against Posco nod - Feb 01, 2011
- Eight injured as anti-Posco protesters clash with cops (Lead) - May 15, 2010
- 26 Posco supporters held for clashes, murder - Jun 22, 2008
- Patnaik welcomes clearance for Posco project - Jan 31, 2011
- Land acquisition for Posco to resume despite protest - May 08, 2011
- 'Withdraw cases against anti-POSCO villagers' - May 26, 2010