Orissa villagers block roads seeking more compensationAugust 22nd, 2008 - 6:47 pm ICT by IANS
Kendrapada, Aug 22 (IANS) Thousands of villagers Friday blocked roads in Kendrapada district in Orissa demanding higher compensations for their farm land which will be used to build a railway line.The residents of Kendrapada district blocked national highway No-5(A) and the Cuttack-Chandabali road at Duhuria Chhack located on the outskirts of Kendrapada town, some 150 km from Bhubaneshwar.
The villagers lifted the blockade after police and administration intervened, a police officer posted in the area said.
The villagers blocked the roads demanding higher compensation for their land which will be used to build an 82-km-long railway line from Haridaspur to Paradeep covering Kendrapada, Jajpur and Jagatsinghpur districts.
The railway requires at least 1,780 acres of land for the proposed project Of which 1,300 acres is owned by farmers.
While the administration has acquired about half of the required land on paper, residents say they will not give physical possession unless they get “the right price”.
“The compensation amount for acquisition of government land was Rs.1.8 million to Rs.2.8 million per acre whereas the authority granted meagre amount of Rs.50,000 per acre,” Bhikari Mohanty, president of the Haridaspur-Paradeep railway land displaced Krusaka Sangram Samiti, told IANS.
Hundreds of vehicles were stranded on the roads due to the road-blockade.
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Odisha villagers lift blockades from Jindal project site - Jul 25, 2012
- Orissa flood situation continues to be grim - Sep 27, 2011
- Lightning strikes kill 17 in Orissa - Aug 02, 2011
- Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villages - Sep 23, 2011
- Patnaik moves centre for workers detained in South Africa - Jul 01, 2011
- We pay more compensation to farmers than centre: Mayawati - May 16, 2011
- Mirchpur protests: Apex court asks for steps to recover losses (Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- Toll in Orissa lightning strikes rises to 24 (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- Orissa lightning strikes leave 32 dead - Aug 03, 2011
- Punjab farmers end agitation; road, rail blockade ends - Dec 11, 2011
- Villagers block road over farmer's suicide - Sep 23, 2010
- Work on controversial n-power plant to begin Thursday - Sep 05, 2012
- Farmers block Aligarh highway for higher compensation - Aug 15, 2010
- Gadkari to meet PM on Manipur blockade - Oct 21, 2011