Orissa village leader shot deadApril 28th, 2008 - 10:32 pm ICT by admin
Bhubaneswar, April 28 (IANS) Unidentified attackers Monday shot dead a village leader in Orissa’s Rayagada district, the police said. The assailants shot dead middle-aged Ananta Kondagiri, the sarpanch (village council chief) of Rekhapadar panchayat near his village Pandratola, some 35 km from the district headquarters of Rayagada and some 700 km from here, around 9.45 a.m., police official A.K. Deo told IANS.
The attackers opened fire at him when he was walking to his office, located about one-and-a-half kilometre away from his home, he said.
“We don’t know the exact reason for the murder but it could be either due to political rivalry or an act of Maoists,” he said. The police have reached to the spot and begun investigating.
Rebels of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) are active in more than half of Orissa’s 30 districts.
In the past three months they have killed at least eight villagers in neighbouring Malkangiri district, suspecting them of being police spies.
- Maoists kill Odisha villager - Jul 07, 2012
- Woman Maoist surrenders in Orissa - May 01, 2010
- Maoist kill tribal politician - May 23, 2012
- Maoists kill four - Jul 07, 2011
- Maoist strike hits life in Orissa - Feb 07, 2011
- Maoists blow up mobile tower control room - Jul 11, 2010
- Police unearth Maoist arms dump in Odisha - Jul 18, 2012
- Maoists kill man for being police informer - Nov 17, 2010
- Maoist strike shuts down two Orissa districts - Nov 15, 2010
- Woman Maoist surrenders in Orissa - Dec 30, 2009
- Tribal killed by Maoists - Aug 11, 2011
- Maoists kill BJP worker in Orissa - Sep 03, 2011
- Maoists kill contractor in Odisha - Dec 04, 2011
- Maoists kill man during strike in Orissa (Lead) - Nov 15, 2010
- Maoist shutdown against Posco land acquisition - Jun 30, 2011