Orissa VHP leader’s killing was pre-planned: policeOctober 17th, 2008 - 3:10 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Oct 17 (IANS) The murder of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati in Orissa, which sparked large-scale violence during which at least 36 Christians were killed and thousands of homes were burnt, was planned several months before, a police official said Friday.Kandhamal district witnessed communal violence after Saraswati was killed Aug 23. Hindus in the region blamed Christians for the killing and went on a rampage against the community.
At least 36 people, mostly Christians, were killed and thousands of homes were burnt in the district during the violence. Over 20,000 people, mainly Christians, have taken shelter in relief camps after their houses were torched by rampaging Hindu mobs.
“While investigating the case, we are finding it to be one of the most complicated cases in the state,” Arun Ray, inspector general of police, crime branch, told IANS by phone.
“The crime was planned much before. We have identified the perpetrators of the crime,” he said. “We have arrested three people and are likely to arrest some more people in the near future.”
Sabyasachi Panda, one of Orissa’s most wanted Maoist leaders, earlier this week claimed responsibility for the killing.
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- Wife demands relief for Odisha Maoist leader - Aug 13, 2012
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Kandhamal nun gangrape trial begins - Jul 26, 2010
- Christmas celebrations pass off peacefully in Orissa - Dec 25, 2010
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- Orissa cops issue lookout notice for Maoists - with photos - Feb 22, 2010
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Protests in Orissa as Togadia barred from Kandhamal (Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
- Two get six-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Jun 30, 2010
- Main accused in Kandhamal nun's rape held - Dec 07, 2009
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010