Orissa VHP leader’s hunger strike enters second dayOctober 21st, 2008 - 8:57 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Oct 21 (IANS) A hunger strike by a Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader here demanding arrest of those behind the killing of Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati entered the second day Tuesday.Senior leaders of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) including national vice president Jual Oram and state president Suresh Pujari went to the venue of the protest and extended their support to Swami Jeevan Chaitanya, a VHP central advisory committee member, who is on fast.
Swami Jeevan Chaitanya and 70 other Hindu saints have been protesting here with a charter of five demands.
“We want the arrest of all those who killed Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and those who conspired in the crime,” Swami Jeevan Chaitanya told IANS.
“Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati had named two persons prior to his killing and had said they were after his life. We want their immediate arrest,” he said.
Swami Laxmanananda, a VHP leader, and four of his aides were killed in their Jaleshpata ashram Aug 23. The murders led to violence in Kandhmal district in which 36 people have been killed and more than 20,000 people have been rendered homeless.
While Maoist guerrillas have claimed responsibility for the killings, Hindu groups hold Christians responsible for the crime. Christians and their places of worship have faced large-scale attacks.
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Orissa VHP leader withdraws hunger strike - Oct 22, 2008
- Fresh violence in Orissa's Kandhamal, several hurt (Lead) - Oct 20, 2008
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Security beefed up at Kandhamal ashram after threats - Aug 21, 2010
- Protests in Orissa as Togadia barred from Kandhamal (Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- Orissa says it will not permit VHP shutdown Dec 25 - Dec 16, 2008
- Maoists blow up ambulance, five killed (Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- Kandhamal people fear Maoist attack - Nov 29, 2010
- BJP criticises permission for EU team's Kandhamal visit - Feb 06, 2010
- Kandhamal riots case: Man gets three-year jail term - Sep 29, 2010
- Kandhamal riots case: 15 get three-year jail term - Sep 30, 2010