Orissa transfers top cop over alleged links with gangsterMay 7th, 2008 - 11:45 pm ICT by admin
Bhubaneswar, May 7 (IANS) Orissa Wednesday transferred Bhubaneswar-Cuttack Police Commissioner Binoy Behera over allegations that he had links with gangster Sandip Acharya, the prime suspect in the murder of marathon kid Budhia Singh’s former coach Biranchi Das. The government has now posted Behera as inspector general of police (technical). B.K. Sharma, who is currently inspector general of the state’s crime branch, will be the new commissioner of Bhubaneswar-Cuttack police commissionerate, a senior home department official told IANS.
Raja alias Sandip Acharya, who was arrested in Goa Monday, had reportedly said that he had met Behera along with several other people at a hotel before the murder of Das.
Oriya daily ‘Dharitri’, which exposed the alleged nexus, claimed that the gangster said in an interview before his arrest that he had met Behera.
Acharya, who already faces more than 30 cases of extortion, murder and kidnapping, was here Wednesday produced in a court that remanded him to five-days’ police custody.
Das was shot dead April 13 outside a judo centre in Bhubaneswar. Chhagla alias Bijoy Sahu, a criminal held for involvement in the murder, had said that the conspiracy to kill Das was hatched at the behest of five people, including Priyabrata Patnaik, a senior Indian Administrative Service (IAS) official, and two women.
Patnaik, who was working as secretary in the transport and commerce department and also as the government’s nodal officer for Posco-India’s steel project, was immediately posted as officer in the general administration department without duty.
- Two convicted in Orissa for judo coach's murder - Dec 13, 2010
- Two convicted for murdering judo coach (Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
- Police question top Orissa bureaucrat in coach's murder - Apr 28, 2008
- Orissa top cops shifted after charges of ties with gangster - Apr 18, 2008
- Trial opens in murder of marathon kid's coach - Sep 01, 2009
- Police quizzes top Orissa bureaucrat in coach murder - May 30, 2008
- Main suspect in Biranchi Das murder arrested in Goa (Lead) - May 05, 2008
- Main suspect in Biranchi Das murder arrested in Goa - May 05, 2008
- Orissa police file charge sheet in judo coach murder case - Aug 18, 2008
- Murderer of Budhia ex-coach arrested in Goa - May 05, 2008
- Odisha officer dies during scuba diving - May 03, 2012
- Biranchi murderer brought to Bhubaneshwar - May 07, 2008
- Orissa ombudsman to probe gangster-officials nexus - Apr 18, 2008
- Police fail to nab killers of Budhia's former coach - Apr 17, 2008
- Man arrested for sending threat e-mail to Patnaik - Feb 02, 2010