Orissa to ban cell phones in collegesSeptember 17th, 2008 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 17 (IANS) The Orissa government Wednesday said it would soon ban the use of cell phones in college campuses.”We are planning to ban the use of cell phones in classrooms as well as in colleges. There was a high level meeting Tuesday in the state secretariat where we decided to impose the ban,” state Higher Education Minister Samir Dey told IANS Wednesday.
The government announcement follows various instances of students circulating and selling indecent MMS clips of girls and teachers. According to the police, a student was also murdered on the outskirts of Bhubaneshwar in April because he had MMS clippings of a girl he was in love with him.
On the proposed ban, Dey said: “We are consulting experts, seeking opinions and after that we will issue a notification in the next few days. Besides, instructions will be sent to all colleges.”
He added: “Nobody will be allowed to use mobile phones inside the campus. It will be applicable to all students, teachers and outsiders. Anybody found using it will be fined.
“We will come out with the guidelines on the amount of fine to be imposed, and how it will be implemented.”
Police said that the MMS racket was flourishing in the state. People distribute or sell indecent MMS clips in the market or send them to different porn sites. Some of them even blackmail the victims.
“Some students and outsiders are using mobile phones to harass women students and teachers,” a college principal said.
- Two teachers booked for raping students - Aug 16, 2012
- Rapist tuition teacher arrested in Ghaziabad - Mar 19, 2012
- Delhi teacher held for raping ex-student, making MMS - Dec 26, 2011
- Police case in Goa over video clip on northeast people - Aug 18, 2012
- Chinese school uses metal detectors to bar mobile phones - Sep 21, 2010
- Britain prepares to discipline schoolchildren - Sep 02, 2011
- Teachers using 'guide books' to face action in Punjab - Sep 14, 2012
- Girl attempts suicide after obscene MMS clip circulated - Dec 31, 2011
- Mobiles, despite hype, failing world of education? - Nov 06, 2011
- Pakistani tribal council bans mobile phones with camera - Jun 02, 2011
- Bhopal college bans female teachers from wearing western outfits - Dec 10, 2010
- Vodafone Foundation to provide education in 1,000 schools - Apr 26, 2012
- Three arrested in sex scandal - Jan 23, 2011
- Chhattisgarh bans teachers, students from using mobiles - Apr 20, 2010
- Tension as cops clash with students, stop Telangana march - Sep 19, 2011